Production Supervisor - 3rd Shift - Valent BioSciences, LLC
JOB SUMMARY and KEY OBJECTIVES
The Production Supervisor will provide direction and leadership to the production staff, including people management as follows: ensuring work is performed in a safe manner, managing performance; addressing disciplinary issues; hiring; assisting people with career development; communicating information to direct reports and passing information up the management chain; ensuring team is aligned with and accomplishing goals/objectives to meet production quality, production efficiency and on time delivery.
- Promote and enforce all aspects of VBC safety and environmental policies and programs, ensuring a safe working environment through formal inspections, correcting unsafe behaviors, safety meetings/gembas, requiring proper PPE (personal protective equipment) is available and worn, utilizing proper work methods, completing injury reports, investigating accidents and near misses, and confirming that all direct reports receive appropriate safety training.
- Understand and activate protocols in case of emergency to ensure people’s safety and equipment safe stop according to the EAP (Emergency Action Plan). Follow lines of communication as specified in Emergency Crisis Management plan.
- Promote and enforce all Company policies included in the Employee Handbook. Maintain a high degree of confidentiality regarding employee related matters, company processes, customer product development, company finances, and all other ‘company private’ information.
- Plan daily work schedules, determine priorities, allocate work assignments, and regulate the production process in order to meet specific daily production requirements.
- Understand and monitor KPIs (key performance indicators) for process standards, production rates, yields, and quality of products, etc. on a daily basis and provide feedback to employees and management on results.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES and TASKS
Maintain logs and records, such as shift status logs, issues logs, batch records, work instructions, etc. to document shift and operator performance. Address production issues such as employee absenteeism, scheduling, quality, equipment, etc. in a timely manner.
- Evaluate employees’ performance and provide necessary feedback. Conduct weekly one-on-one meetings with each member of direct staff. Utilize corrective action to resolve conflict and inappropriate behaviors.
- Collaborate with Production Engineering/Technical team on process changes or improvements. Implement process improvement and cost reduction programs to ensure the efficient utilization of labor, materials, and equipment.
- Work with Quality to ensure all products meet standards. Utilize the NtM (Notification to Management) process when dealing with major safety, process or equipment issues. Assist in nonconformance and root cause analysis.
- Understand and have a working knowledge of fermentation and the recovery process, including DCS (distributive control system), process and recovery equipment, CUB (central utility building), raw materials, formulations and load out of product.
- Ensure shift housekeeping/cleaning duties are performed on time and in compliance with the cleaning standards.
- Collaborate with Production team, Scheduling and Maintenance regarding initiating work orders and planning work order activities.
- Collaborate with Scheduling and Warehouse team regarding shared team member duties and raw material deliveries.
- Support Lean initiatives. Assist in the implementation and maintenance of VBC’s 5S program.
- Assist in implementing Manufacturing Best Practices.
- May be required to work shift work.
PREFERRED QUALITIFICATIONS and EDUCATION
- B.A. or B.S. in Natural Science or related field.
- 5 years’ experience in fermentation or supervision will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing Concepts.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Good computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, etc.)
- Strong change management skills, driving and implementing change to optimize the business focusing on safety, quality and costs
- Excellent people and leadership skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Managerial ability (communication skills, delegation, motivation, etc.)
- Problem solving and decision making abilities
- Ability to work with and relate to all levels of personnel
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel