Research Scientist, Microbiology - Valent BioSciences, LLC
Description of Job: This individual will work closely with manager and senior scientists to design and execute a wide range of microbiological analysis, method development and research experiments to support fermentation optimization, product development, and microbial quality and stability evaluation in formulations and finished products. This person will also be responsible for experimental data analysis as well as preparation and presentation of research reports.
- Conduct all work in strict compliance with all applicable chemical and biological safety requirements, containment requirements, standard operating practices, and/or guidelines.
- Prepare microbiological media and plates for strain isolation, screening and viability assays.
- Implement, improve or develop microbiological analysis protocols.
- Conduct sample preparation and treatment, inoculum preparation, autoclaving, and general laboratory housekeeping.
- Perform microbial viability assays including total cfu and/or spore count in various products, including bacterial and fungal fermentation and formulation samples and stability evaluation samples to support multiple research and development projects.
- Conduct microbiology operations including strain maintenance, culture activation and purification, strain transfer, contaminant detection and isolation, mutagenesis, etc.
- Support manufacturing QC in biochemical analysis such as SDS-PAGE.
- Carry out shake flask growth, medium optimization and fermentation studies.
- Evaluate fungicide or antimicrobial activities of different chemical and microbial agents.
- Design and execute investigative research experiments and accurately analyze, interpret and report results, and make recommendations.
- Keep detailed, accurate records and experimental writeups in Electronic Noteboook and databases.
- Handle and work with a variety of microorganisms including bacteria and fungi.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, instrument and supplies.
- Collaborate with various interdisciplinary project teams
- Strong aseptic techniques and general microbiology laboratory and analysis skills
- Broad knowledge of microorganisms including bacteria and fungi.
- Industrial experience in a traditional microbiology lab is desirable.
- Knowledge and/or working experience in molecular biology is a plus.
- Ability to work independently and in team environment.
- Self-motivator and detail oriented.
Education: Ph.D. in Microbiology with 0-2 years of industrial experience or Ph.D. + postdoctoral experience, or M.S. in Microbiology or a related field with 5-10 years of microbiology research experience.