Research Associate, Synthetic Biology - Valent BioSciences, LLC
Description of Job: Contribute to internal metabolic engineering efforts, especially in the field of molecular biology. This individual will work alongside senior laboratory scientists to design and build a molecular biology toolbox to serve current and future strain engineering programs in a variety of host microbial organisms, including prokaryotes and eukaryotes in support of development of biorational products in agriculture as well as other synthetic biology projects in other Sumitomo Chemical business sectors .
- Coordinate and conduct all work in strict compliance with applicable safety requirements, containment requirements, standard operating practices, and/or guidelines.
- Synthetic Biology –
- Assist in the design and build of in-house molecular tools to facilitate engineering model and non-model organisms including yeast, bacteria and fungi.
- Conduct molecular cloning of replicative and integrative vectors for utility in downstream strain engineering.
- Perform general molecular biology procedures including DNA and RNA isolation and purification, PCR, RT-PCR, ligation, assembly, transformation and conjugation.
- Maintenance of the laboratory including general housekeeping functions, ordering of supplies and equipment upkeep.
- Accurate record keeping of experimental work for the development of SOPs and maintenance of electronic laboratory notebook.
- Passion for the expanding field of synthetic biology, especially as it relates to the development of novel products and sustainable solutions.
- Experienced in the use of modern molecular gene editing and assembly tools.
- Experience in microbial cultivation and genetic manipulation of E. coli, S. cerevisiae or other hosts.
- Candidates with experience in one of the following: manipulation of Streptomyces, bioinformatics, or workflow automation would be preferred.
- Software experience with DNA design tools, such as Geneious and Snapgene.
- Works well in teams, especially with synthetic biology group members but also across other research departments.
- Strong communication, presentation and listening skills.
- Must be a self-starter with good organizational skills.
- Will foster a culture of diversity and inclusion.
BS/MS in Synthetic Biology, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or Biochemistry with 1-2 years of molecular cloning experience in an academic or industrial environment.
Limited travel will be required. (<10%)