Associate Scientist, Plant Pathology - Valent BioSciences, LLC
Description of Job: Support the discovery, evaluation and development of microbial and natural product based biofungicides. You will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team including other plant pathologists and scientists from diverse disciplines to characterize microbial strains of interest and generate data to support project advancement, development, registration and commercialization. Your role will involve a focus on assay development of foliar pathogens in the laboratory, growth chamber, and greenhouse, but may expand into other areas as project needs change. You may also conduct testing of candidate biofungicides in weekly foliar pathology assays to provide timely data for project teams.
- Develop new assays to screen and characterize candidate biofungicides
- Optimize existing laboratory and growth chamber assays
- Perform weekly evaluations of candidate biofungicides in foliar pathogen assays
- Maintain cultures of plant pathogens, including biotrophs
- Design, conduct and accurately analyze experiments, utilizing electronic laboratory notebook
- Make presentations of experiments and data to internal and external project teams
- Conduct general laboratory maintenance
- Assure safe work procedures are practiced and follow all containment permit requirements and best practices for handling plant pathogens
- Expertise working with diverse fungal and/or oomycete pathogens, including hands-on experience with foliar pathogen maintenance and assay development.
- A background in biological control, specifically related to the evaluation of biofungicides, is also desired.
- Must excel in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment, be well organized and demonstrate excellent time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to assist other plant pathology team members is a must.
Education: M.S. degree in Plant Pathology preferred. Recent Ph.D. graduates will also be considered.