Regional Director, Medical Science Liaison, Migraine - Nationwide/Virtual/Remote
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
This role is primarily responsible for oversight and development of a Medical Science Liaison (MSL) team regionally to support Medical Affairs strategic priorities and to ensure medical/scientific accuracy, and non-promotional integrity of all national activities. Other responsibilities include authorizing activities, recruiting, interviewing and hiring personnel, promotions and transfers, assigning and reviewing work, appraising performance, and counseling and disciplining. This role will also teach, train, and develop the MSL staff with regards to the skills and knowledge needed to achieve established goals and facilitate the implementation of MSL research and education programs. This role will provide input into the strategy and direction for the field-based MSL team. Supervisory responsibility: Anticipate having 8-9 US MSLs direct reports. KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Describe scope: % of Time or Importance
Develop, deploy, and manage the MSL team nationally. Maintain standards for the group which support both corporate priorities and regulatory/legal limitations. Responsible for all aspects of managing MSL team. Ensures timely execution of recruitment and hiring of new employees and timely execution of coaching/counseling sessions. Works with Human Resources to manage employee relations issues and is responsible for the termination of employees when necessary. Responsible for the completion and execution of the annual performance review process and development plan.
Ensures team is highly trained and has the skills and capabilities to meet or exceed requirements. Participates in MSL knowledge assessments conducted through Scientific Communications. Maintains a high level of scientific proficiency in their therapeutic area.
Provide appropriate coverage and scientific support of national and regional medical conferences. Maintain and provide appropriate support of appropriate educational programs to support Allergan medical priorities.
Support research initiatives as requested by Allergan R&D Departments and ensure appropriate support of Allergan IIT program.
Identify unmet educational needs and ideas for new MSL materials and provide input to Scientific Communications in MSL material/tool development.
QUALIFICATIONS (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS): Education and Experience
- Advanced degree with health science background (Pharm.D, M.D., Ph.D, preferred)
- Preferred minimum 5-year total specific industry experience (pharma, device, etc) and preferred minimum 5 years post-professional degree practice or relevant transferable experience (clinical practice, academic research, regulatory/scientific)
- Demonstrated track record of success as Sr. MSL or above with prior experience leading or mentoring MSLs preferred. Sought out as a leader and mentor to others
- Supervisory experience a plus
- Experience in Headache/Migraine preferred
Essential Skills, Experience, and Competencies (includes licenses, credentials):
- Knowledge of applicable pharmaceutical industry legal and regulatory guidelines
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and other software skills
- Conveys information clearly, using a variety of media, to individuals and groups
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong presentation and teaching skills
- Techniques of recruiting, interviewing, and selecting applicants for employment.
- Principles and practices of supervising, training and evaluating employees.
- Ability to convey clinical and non-clinical technical information effectively
- Ability to engage the audience and help them understand and retain information
- Ability to learn clinical and non-clinical technical information
- Demonstrated success at maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or environment
- Ability to adjust effectively to work within new structures, processes, requirements or cultures
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to travel 50-60%
- Strong team and leadership skills
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 75 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.