Senior Science Staff Position (Office of the Chief Scientist NASA)
In support of NASA's endeavors to Discover, Explore, Develop, and Enable, the NASA Ames Office of the Chief Scientist plays a central role in maximizing Ames Research Center's scientific contribution to the agency mission. The Office of the Chief Scientist fosters an environment of collaboration between other NASA centers, promotes STEM education, and influences NASA’s future scientific direction. The Senior Science Staff position supports the Office of the Chief Scientist by managing speaker engagements, supporting science workshops, organizing seminars, performing critical technical reviews of research and innovation proposals, and hosting VIP visits virtually and to the center.
- Masters Degree in a relevant scientific field with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience or a Ph.D. in a relevant scientific field.
- Experience working in a professional setting such as an executive office.
- Must have strong technical writing skills;
- Must be comfortable researching technical area outside of normal expertise and writing a summary for public and science community consumption;
- Demonstrated ability to write successful science proposals;
- Proven oral and written science expertise;
- Experience in reviewing technical proposals;
- Demonstrated excellent English communication skills (oral and written).
- Proven track record of meeting action deadlines.
- Computer skills, e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint or their equivalents.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Status.
- Must be eligible for or have successfully completed a National Agency Check investigation for a “NASA Clearance” within the last ten (10) years.
- Must be willing to travel as necessary to meet business needs.
- Must have the ability to perform effectively in fast paced, demanding work environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Prepare scientific articles and documents for public and science community consumption. As the OCS covers a broad range of science research conducted at NASA Ames and elsewhere within the agency, the topics may be outside the employee's area of expertise. This would require the ability to independently acquire a competency and knowledge in an unfamiliar field by reading literature and talking with experts.
- Prepare and review scientific and technical proposals for merit and feasibility.
- Provide Comprehensive support for meetings, workshops, conferences, reviews, briefings, and technology interchange meetings, including domestic and foreign travel.
- OCS Colloquia/Seminars
- OCS seminars, Summer Series, co-sponsored events
- invitations and thank you follow up letters
- abstract collection
- talking points
- center wide announcement
- check copy writes on materials
- schedule additional tours
- coordinate room and video/web support
- poster creation, printing, distribution
- reception – arrange, set up, clear
- Ames Fellow, associate fellow, early career, etc.
- Ames Innovation Fair
- Coordinate with other center awards (CIF, ARIA, IRAD)
- VIP support, as needed
- Setting up tours
- Note taking
- Perform less defined tasks as per Chief Scientist needs e.g. contribute content to the OCS website
As part of the application, please include a science technical writing sample - a research manuscript, informational article, or other report of which the applicant was the primary contributing author. Applicant must include desired salary with application submission.
- Other related assignments and duties, as required.
- Occasionally – Climbing, stooping, kneeling
- Often – Reaching, standing, sitting, walking, pushing, pulling, talking, hearing, seeing, fingering/grasping/feeling, typing/writing
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Normally works in an environmentally controlled area.