Staff Systems Engineer
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
The Staff Systems Engineer coordinates, manages and implements technical engineering support for a variety of process automation hardware, software applications, and laboratory instruments to support smooth production lab operations. The Staff Systems Engineer will primarily mentor team members, interact with scientists, software developers and end users to transfer and continuously improve to implement robust automated solutions into day-to-day laboratory operations. The ideal candidate will be experienced in liquid handling robotic platforms, software integration and supporting complex systems as well as setting up support processes in a regulated production setting with cross functional teams.
• Manage supporting, troubleshooting and improving existing automated systems activities in a regulated production lab
• Mentor team members and be the technical lead for support of lab automated platforms
• Take a lead in implementing process and workflow systems to support complex automated process in a regulated production lab
• Optimize existing automated processes to improve efficiency, throughput, robustness and quality
• Support the installation, facility acceptance test and validation of the new and or revised equipment, automated systems to ensure quality compliance and user requirements
• Author, execute and document test plans and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for automated workflows
• Coordinate with different cross functional team members and execute projects in a timely manner
• Recommend and implement changes to ensure ongoing high-quality performance of laboratory equipment
• Monitor and evaluate new and emerging technologies in laboratory automation systems
• Perform other duties as assigned
Your Background Will Include:
• B.S. or M.S. in molecular biology, chemistry, engineering or a related discipline
• Minimum of 6-8 years hands on experience in integrated automated solutions and liquid handling platforms
• Minimum of 3 years experience supporting regulated labs
• Experience managing cross functional projects and implementing new workflow processes
• Proficiency in both writing and optimizing scripts on automated liquid handling platforms (e.g., Hamilton, Tecan, Beckman, etc.)
• Experience with LIMS and software integration
• Experience in mentoring team members
• Experience with writing and executing test protocols
• Working knowledge of clinical laboratory operations and activities
• Analytical, creative thinker and ability to solve problems
• Effective organizational and time management skills
• Able to work independently and as part of a team
• Excellent written and communication skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
GRAIL, Inc. and its affiliates and subsidiaries ("GRAIL") does not accept any liability for fees for resumes from recruiters or employment agencies ("Agency"), without a binding, written recruitment agreement between GRAIL and Agency describing the services and specific job openings ("Agreement"). GRAIL may consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume and explicitly reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the Agency, unless an Agreement is in place. Any email or verbal contacts with any person within GRAIL is inadequate to create a binding agreement. Agencies without an Agreement are requested not to contact any hiring managers of GRAIL with recruiting inquiries or resumes. Agencies interested in partnering with GRAIL may contact GRAIL's HR Department through our Customer Service team .