Scaling and Productivity Engineer
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
Grail is looking for a Scaling and Productivity Engineer to help us scale our lab software and development team. This means identifying causes of scaling issues, whether they come from architecture or from accidental complexities in our development practices. Help us improve the tooling that software engineers rely on across all stages of our product development cycle, and then use those improvements yourself to scale our systems. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with cross functional teams including Software Engineering, DevOps, and Lab Operations to remove bottlenecks with new tools and automation systems without sacrificing safety or quality. Be hailed as master of ceremonies. You will be in a position to empower the engineering team with the platforms they need as we work towards detecting cancer!
• Work as a software developer to scale infrastructure and streamline the team's ability to get stuff done.
• Streamline the development and deployment process and scale it for future software launches.
• Build tools and scripts in go, bash, python or other languages.
• Directly contribute to the code when the system itself limits scaling.
• Work with DevOps and other stakeholders on architectural design and support a growing team of 70+ software and bioinformatics engineers.
• Advocate best practices for DevOps from the "Dev" side.
• Be an active contributor in addressing scaling concerns for our laboratory software.
• Become an expert in managing our technical stack including: Phabricator, Bazel, AWS, Terraform, Docker.
Your Background Includes:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in computer science, electrical engineering or another technical field.
• 5+ years of DevOps, SRE or system administration experience.
• Practical experience on the development side of things, systems engineering, and working within a governed software development life cycle
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.