Postdoc - Postdoctoral Fellow - Parkinson’s Disease Research - Discovery
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Postdoctoral Program is designed for true investigational and experimental research. Participants will be mentored by renowned industry scientists and collaborators at AbbVie and focused on delivering cutting-edge advancements in Discovery, Development Sciences and BioPharma. The enriching training program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience which fosters a learning environment to advance individual development with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum. Technical expert that will investigate, identify, develop and optimize new methods/ techniques to address critical project needs. Continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and processes. Read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments. Demonstrate mastery of broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
To be successful, we need outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients. The AbbVie Postdoc program is one way we are doing just that.
Through our Postdoc program, we are hiring postdocs from key academic institutions for preferred areas of science in the U.S., while providing a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. The program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience, with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum. This assignment is expected to be two years and no more than three years.
AbbVie is seeking applicants for a post-doctoral position to join our Parkinson’s disease team in the recently established AbbVie Foundational Neuroscience Center in Cambridge, Mass. As part of our team, you will be investigating cellular and molecular mechanisms of Parkinson’s disease pathology, using neuronal and glial cultures. In this role you will generate and publish novel research results, while expanding your expertise in molecular and cellular biology, neurodegenerative disease mechanisms and methodologies, and in drug discovery strategy.
- Design cellular assays to interrogate signaling pathways associated with Parkinson’s disease
- Interpret internal and external data sets to assist in assay design
- Explore PD-related biology using assays from above
- Present data results to leadership to inform future decisions on potential therapeutic targets
- PhD in Neuroscience, Cell biology or related field
- Strong background in neurodegeneration, neuroscience, and/or glial biology
- Proficiency in various cell culture systems required
- Proficiency in image-based systems and analysis, including confocal microscopes and high-content imagers
- Knowledge of molecular biology and/or biochemical techniques
- History of productivity as evidenced by publication of scientific findings in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent problem-solving skills including critical and analytical thinking.
- Ability to independently design and execute experiments, interpret data, and identify appropriate follow-up strategies.
- Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Must be authorized to work in the Unites States
- Provide three letters of Recommendation
- Provide letter of intent to pursue Postdoc
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Strong background knowledge in Parkinson’s disease and synuclein biology
- Experience in iPSC differentiation into CNS-based cells
- Knowledge of CRISPR/Cas or siRNA-based knockdown a plus
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experiments to drive the science in the field of interest
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to realityto multitask and work within timelines.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.