Director, Medicinal Chemistry
About IDEAYA Biosciences:
IDEAYA Biosciences (NASDAQ: IDYA) is a public, clinical-stage oncology-focused precision medicine company committed to the discovery and development of targeted therapeutics for patient populations selected using DNA sequencing and other molecular diagnostics. Our approach integrates extensive capabilities in identifying and validating translational biomarkers with small molecule drug discovery to select patient populations most likely to benefit from the therapies we are developing. We are applying these capabilities across multiple classes of precision medicine, including direct targeting of oncogenic pathways and synthetic lethality – which represents an emerging class of precision medicine targets. We believe this diversified approach will enable us to deliver the right medicine to the right patient to drive a more robust clinical response.
IDEAYA recently announced a landmark strategic partnership with GSK in Synthetic Lethality for certain pipeline programs. The GSK partnership is transformative and enables IDEAYA and GSK to collectively build an industry leading platform and pipeline in Synthetic Lethality. For more information, please see www.ideayabio.com.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated individual with significant pharmaceutical industry experience to join our multidisciplinary team. The successful candidate will lead a group of medicinal chemists and engage in rational structure-based drug discovery enabled by our computational and structural chemistry group. In addition, the work will include aspects of managing CRO collaborators in the preparation of target molecules and leadership of drug discovery projects. As a member of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team, this person will collaborate with a broad group of scientists within IDEAYA as well as external collaborators.
AKA what you'll bring:
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with 10+ years pharmaceutical medicinal chemistry industrial experience
- Expert understanding of medicinal chemistry concepts along with strong working knowledge of protein-ligand interactions, conformational and structural analysis to enable creative solutions to drug discovery issues.
- Exceptional knowledge of ADME, physicochemical, biochemical and pharmacological principles as applied to drug discovery
- High level of creativity and productivity with strong synthetic problem-solving skills
- Proven leadership capability in cross-functional team setting, either as project team leader or co-lead
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including ability to present the rationale, data, issues and accomplishments of the team
- Experience in applying molecular modeling methods to structure-based, ligand-based, and fragment-based drug discovery
- A strong record of delivering portfolio success and driving projects through to the identification of high quality small-molecule drug candidates
- Experienced in partnering closely with computational chemists
- Excellent awareness of current developments in synthetic and medicinal chemistry, and ability to identify opportunities to advance the science in these fields
- Strong skills in gathering, documenting, and analyzing competitive information from sources such as patents and meetings and using this information to guide program strategy
- Significant operational experience in one of the following disciplines: Analytical Chemistry, Computer Aided Drug Design, Structural Biology, Formulation Sciences, in vitro and/or in vivo ADME
- Strong desire to mentor junior members of the department to increase their medicinal chemistry knowledge and skill set.
When you're at IDEAYA, you will be in the midst of brilliant minds working on precision medicine therapies to help cancer patients. We are passionate and committed about being on the forefront of oncology medicine, which means we all have a high internal drive that is at the very core of every person at IDEAYA. We are inquisitive, ask deep questions, and are data-driven innovators who like to collaborate and use team work to move science forward.
Ideaya is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, Ideaya does not discriminate in hiring or otherwise in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/AA/Vets.