Linux System Engineer
Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is searching for a Linux System Engineer to join our team supporting our client at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, MD.
NCBI is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI is the world's premier biomedical center hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health - at NCBI you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases! NCBI's wide range of applications, platforms (node, python, Django, C++, you name it) and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users than almost any other US Government Agency according to https://analytics.usa.gov/.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Hands-on management of services, software, and hardware. This includes provisioning, monitoring, upgrading, configuration management, troubleshooting, documentation, and maintenance.
- Take direction from the team lead and more senior personnel to work within a team-environment to achieve organizational goals
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of problems and user requests through an established trouble ticketing system.
- Develop and maintain custom tools in Puppet, Python, Perl, Ruby, and Bash to automate the UNIX infrastructure
- Install, configure and maintain CentOS and associated applications in an automated Puppet environment
- Perform standard administration tasks (packaging, OS installs, patch management)
- Build open-source software from source code
- Document procedures, systems, services, and software.
- Provide UNIX support to NCBI's internal developers and researchers
- Demonstrated experience in Linux Systems Administration (3+ years)
- Comfortable with the Linux or UNIX CLI
- Versed in Linux administration and best practices
- Fluent in programming/scripting skills for automation in at least two of Bash, Ruby, Python, and Perl
- General understanding of TCP/IP and related protocols (HTTP, FTP, NFS, etc...)
- Comfortable dealing with users with varying levels of IT knowledge
- Team player who is nevertheless able to work with minimum supervision.
- Experience in a large, highly available Linux environment
- Experience with automated configuration management, such as Puppet, Ansible, Chef, bcfg2, cfengine, etc. Puppet is preferred.
- General understanding of Linux internals (system calls, file systems, processes, etc...)
- Experience with version control. (Git is preferred.)
- Experience with building open-source software from source code
- Experience supporting large web applications environment
- Familiarity with enterprise network architectures
- Familiarity with large, complex Linux environments
- Knowledge of cloud technology such as AWS and GCP
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get...
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program, and membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.