MSC is currently searching for a Senior Bioinformatician to support the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Work is on-site in Rockville, MD, with the possibility to telework.
The Senior Bioinformatician will work as part of a highly motivated Agile software development team that provides biomedical informatics and IT support to cancer research. This involves working with program stakeholders to help meet scientific objectives in clinical and translational research, data science, discovery biology, and data sharing.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as the expert statistician and data manager within the NIH research team
- Formulate statistical and mathematical approaches to address scientific questions proposed by NIH biologists and researchers
- Develop computational tools for effective and efficient analysis of large-scale genomic data, including sequence-based, structure-based, array-based, and proteomic data
- Build web-based, n-tiers high-performance applications
- Support active collaborations on scientific projects through the deployment of professional personnel
- Perform software development support and maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, requirements definition, design, development, installation, maintenance, problem diagnosis and resolution, and enhancement of system and application software as well as support for various scientific and programming services
- Create project planning timetables incorporating development, beta-testing, portability and troubleshooting
- Write robust documentation for all software projects in a timely fashion, using proper English
- Develop concepts for resolving technical issues
- Develop business cases, strategies, and processes for evaluating bioinformatics projects, success metrics, cost and effort analyses, recommendations for go/no-go decisions, tracking, and reporting
- Masters or a Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or a related computational discipline
- Minimum 3 years of work experience with full software development lifecycle
- At least 3 years of professional programming experience with Java/Java EE (EJB 3.x, JPA 2.x, Servlet 2.x, JSP 2.x, JSF 2.x, EL, JAX-WS, JAX-RS, XML, etc.)
- Familiarity with development tools: Eclipse, NetBean, Ant, Maven, SVN, JIRA / BugZilla
- Experience with modern frameworks such as JUnit, Hibernate, Strut 2, Seam, GWT, Spring , Lucene
- Prior use and knowledge of scripting languages: Perl, Python, and/or Shell
- Working knowledge of major public bioinformatics databases and tools
- Experience with Web Service implementation
- Ability to adapt in a dynamic work environment and work cooperatively with team members and clients from a broad range of disciplines and subject-level expertise
- Understanding of the principles of business and project management
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, regarding both technical concepts and project management
- Ability to shift between seeing the forest and the trees, to grasp both the broad view of a subject and its details
- Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively, as circumstances require
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance
- Experience with biomedical and cancer research
- Demonstrated initiative in experimenting with new technologies
- Experience working in Agile environments
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get...
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.