Trudeau Institute Inc. was founded in 1884 as a tuberculosis treatment and research facility in Saranac Lake, NY; rededicated in 1964 as an independent, nonprofit, biomedical research organization supported by federal and state grants and contributions from individuals, private foundations and corporations. The vision of Trudeau 3.0 includes a complete transformation of academic-oriented research structure into a biotech adapted, Trudeau Research Network (TRN). We have several Research Technician opportunities to join our professional teams working in infectious disease and vaccine and therapeutic development in order to improve public health.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for performing laboratory duties as directed in support of research projects and investigations yielding high reliability and reproducibility essential for biomedical research.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work as a member of a research team assigned to specific projects.
- Work independently with minimal supervision, carry out specialized experimental procedures using established methods and protocols.
- Willing to work in a biosafety level 3 (BSL3) environment and able to wear appropriate respiratory protection.
- Assist in reagent preparation and general lab upkeep.
- Grow cell lines, propagate viruses and bacteria using aseptic culture technique.
- Conduct biological and molecular analyses including ELISA, ELISpot, standard molecular biology and virology techniques, flow cytometry and other necessary laboratory methods.
- Handle experimental animals for injection, weighing, and bleeding following standard protocols.
- Collect, organize data in a table or graph format and perform statistical analysis.
- Participant in regular lab meeting and present data to Principle Investigator in a timely manner.
- Work in an environment handling biologicals, chemicals, infectious agents (e.g. bacteria, parasites, virus) and radioisotopes after appropriate safety training in compliance with institutional workplace safety policies.
- Overtime and weekend work may be required.
- Successful candidates will hold a BA or BS in Biology with a minimal 2 years work experience in a research laboratory or related field; Or, an MS degree with one year of work experience.
- Must have prior experience in a BSL2 and BSL3 laboratory environment
- Sound knowledge of standard laboratory procedures, equipment, and record keeping skills are required along with knowledge of computer software applications e.g. MS Office word, Excel, and PowerPoint; familiarity with GraphPad Prism and FlowJo is a plus.
- Good organization skills, attention to detail, flexibility, and capability of multi-tasking.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Preferred candidates should have previous work experience in biotech or biopharmaceutical companies focused on research in immunology and/or infectious disease.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves standing at laboratory tables for long periods of time.
May be required to wear specific PPE in certain laboratories.
The Trudeau Institute is a world-renowned, research institution which offers competitive salaries along with a robust benefits package (including health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance and a generous employer retirement contribution). The Institute is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer encouraging women, individuals with disabilities, minorities and veterans to apply. Join our Team in the transformation of Trudeau!