Postdoc- Postdoctoral Fellow: Development of high drug load amorphous formulations
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
At AbbVie, our vision is to be recognized as a biopharmaceutical company delivering a consistent stream of innovative medicines that solve serious health issues and have a remarkable impact on people’s lives.
To be successful, we need outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients. The AbbVie Postdoc program is one way we are doing just that.
Through our Postdoc Program, we are hiring postdocs from key academic institutions for preferred areas of science in the U.S., while providing a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent.
The program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience, with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum to help participants understand how everything fits together and is put into practice. It also provides them with a chance to establish working relationships with some of the world’s most respected scientists and leaders in the industry.
Participants in the Postdoc program play an integral part in our continued success and will help us to further grow as a leader in our industry. The assignment will be for two years and not to exceed three years.
NCE-Formulation Sciences Mission Statement:
We design and deliver innovative medicines inspired by our patients and achieved through scientific collaboration of inclusive and highly engaged teams.
“Development of high drug load amorphous formulations”
Our long-term goal is to develop high drug load amorphous formulations. To this end, the objective of this research is to investigate the use of directly engineered amorphous drug nanoparticles in development of a high drug load re-dispersible oral solid dosage form. We have demonstrated preliminary feasibility of the concept and subsequent work will focus on exploring the physicochemical and formulation design space where the proposed concept can be applied.
The position and research work will allow the postdoctoral researcher to gain a wealth of experiences in drug product development (DPD) and establish the researcher as an expert in the field. The work is the first of its kind and is expected to result in high-end publications. It is envisioned that the researcher will have regular interactions with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists across DPD and analytical sciences. Additionally, the researcher will interface with our external academic collaborators and would gain valuable understanding on state-of-the-art bio-predictive tools for guiding formulation development.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Thorough review of prior work in this field.
- Design and conduct of experiments to test the proposed formulation concepts.
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Critical analysis of data, summarization of findings, and presentation to mentoring team.
- Communication of project progress to governing bodies within the organization.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences.
Ph.D. scientist with a background in physical pharmacy, pharmaceutics, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, or material sciences.
- Familiarity with concepts of oral drug delivery.
- Experience with technologies such as thin film-evaporation, spray-drying, fluid bed granulation, impinging jet microfluidics, hot-melt extrusion, nanoparticles, etc. is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability in conduct of independent research, generating original technical ideas, solving difficult technical problems, and implementing new technologies to achieve project goals.
- Excellent scientific communication and presentation skills.
- Provide a narrative on why your academic training would qualify you for this position and why you have a sustained interest in this program (research summary).
- Provide three letters of recommendation, one at least from your PI, and preferably, one from a member of the thesis committee.
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, initiative, and integrity.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.