Capital Planning Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA is seeking a capital planning project engineer to be part of the Project & Plant Engineering group. The selected candidate will be responsible for activities in support of the site’s capital long range plan (LRP) and annual capital plan development involving the biologics manufacturing equipment, utilities, and facility renovations and construction including but not limited to GMP manufacturing space, labs and offices. associated with a biopharmaceutical manufacturing site.
This role is a key strategic position for the AbbVie Bioresearch Center and the successful candidate will significantly impact and transform site’s business in the highly specialized area of biologics manufacturing while supporting significant capital investment. This is an exciting and dynamic opportunity for you to contribute to the development of new principles and concepts and to be challenged and lead change from an engineering perspective.
Responsibilities would include:
- Develop and maintain the site’s capital long range plan (LRP) in collaboration with site leadership and management and assist in the development of the annual capital plan.
- Collaborate with departments across the site including Engineering, Production, QA/QC, Maintenance, IT and Facilities to identify capital projects that will:
- Increase manufacturing capacity.
- Improve production and lab efficiencies.
- Upgrade aging and obsolete equipment and utilities.
- Identify new technologies in the areas of biologics production equipment, utilities and facilities enhancements.
- Collaborate with all plant functions to compile capital requests for future capital budgeting cycles.
- Independently facilitates and executes designs and cost estimates for equipment, facility, utility engineering solutions supporting engineering, manufacturing, laboratory and/or office environments in the areas of new technology, FUE renovations for both production and lab environments and new construction.
- Leads internal cross-functional teams of SMEs through design reviews.
- Perform engineering studies and analysis to develop capacity and demand models to enable the wholistic impact of large projects on the site in relation to utility and manufacturing support capacity.
- Deliver periodic project status reports and gate reviews to all internal project stakeholders (internal customers, engineering, and plant management, etc.) to present business cases and proposed projects.
- Assist in developing department plans, goals, and objectives, and ensuring that all investment activities are aligned with engineering strategy.
- Execute capital projects in support of site initiatives as needed.
- BS in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering with 6-8 years of relevant “hands on” work experience is required.
- A background in biopharmaceutical manufacturing and/or biologics equipment operation/troubleshooting is strongly preferred.
- A background in project engineering construction management of biopharmaceutical facility and R&D lab projects is a benefit.
- General knowledge of the building, architectural, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and fire protection codes.
- Candidates must be able to lift 25 lbs and negotiate pipe racks/ ladders.
- PMP certification a significant advantage
- Good oral/written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects effectively, possesses excellent planning and organizational skills
- Teamwork, leadership and the ability to maintain constructive relationships with personnel from various disciplines at all levels in the organization are desired competencies.
- The successful candidate should demonstrate integrity, reliability, dedication, adaptability, innovation and self-motivation.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.