Principal Scientist I/II, Analytical R&D, NBE - ARD
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie Analytical Research & Development (Analytical R&D) is a global analytical sciences organization responsible for all CMC analytical activities related to the development of AbbVie's pharmaceutical products. Our scope includes AbbVie's diverse pipeline of innovative small molecule and therapeutic biologic medicines and spans from the selection of Discovery candidate molecules through the transition of analytical methods and testing to commercial labs to support product launch. We are building a world-class team of scientists and leaders who will drive the advancement of industry-leading analytical capabilities and make meaningful contributions to advance AbbVie's pipeline of innovative medicines. Careers in AbbVie Analytical R&D provide unique opportunities to work with global and cross-functional teams to drive exceptional science and innovative product development strategies. We are looking for diverse candidates with strong scientific and leadership experience to join the AbbVie Analytical R&D team and can offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities for these candidates.
The new biologic entities (NBE) analytical development group develops state-of-the-art analytical technique for the characterization of antibody drug conjugates (ADC) and other novel biologics from pre-clinical to commercialization. We seek a highly motivated scientist with a proven track record of accomplishment to work in a multi-functional team environment. The qualified candidate will deliver results in a team-oriented setting and will work across scientific disciplines to drive programs through critical milestones.
- Develops the optimal CMC development path for assigned discovery projects together with clients from various discovery and development functions with an emphasis on collaboration, quality and with a sense of urgency.
- Build and manage strategic alignments with key stakeholders, revise and improve business workflows, manage project timelines and resources. Drive internal and external collaborations as necessary to further program goal.
- Takes initiative to develop independent research ideas and pursues scientific questions that may arise during candidate selection/ nomination screening studies. Presents data at internal and external professional conferences and prepares manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed journals or patent applications.
- Will mentor/supervise a team and evaluate the performance of those individuals; is accountable for the effective performance of the team/individuals.
- BS, MS, or PhD in scientific field required.
- Minimum BS and 14 years, MS and 12 years, or PhD and 6 years related work experience required.
- Ph.D in Analytical Chemistry with 8+ years of related work experience preferred.
- Must possess a solid understanding of protein chemistry and biochemistry, particularly as related to biologics drug development.
- Experiences in strategically planning and executing the experiments needed for the structure elucidation, extended characterization and comparability studies related to the BLA filing. Proven track record in authoring BLA filling documents
- Demonstrate independent problem-solving ability in science and technical proficiency.
- Strong data and time organization/management skills coupled with strong interpersonal and effective communication skills for facilitating collaborations with a demonstrated ability to lead cross functional process development teams.
- Demonstrated leadership with previous management experiences with direct reports.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Job level will be commensurate with experience.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.