Principal Scientist II, Investigative Toxicology & Pathology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Investigative Toxicology & Pathology is a diverse team of drug development scientists with the primary goal of supporting Discovery project teams. Assessing potential toxicities and understanding the mechanisms so that appropriate screening paradigms can be designed for optimal selection of compounds with the greatest potential for clinical success. The team has broad expertise in toxicology, clinical and anatomical histopathology, and molecular biology.
We are seeking a Principal Scientist with project leadership experience to join our team.
- Provide leadership for early target and compound toxicologic characterization by functioning as the nonclinical safety point-of-contact for Discovery projects, responsible for designing and communication of project strategies and testing plans
- Conduct hypothesis-driven toxicologic characterization focused on enabling accelerated decisions regarding target viability and internal prioritization of early lead molecules
- Partner with key allied functions (e.g., DMPK, formulation scientists) for strategic design and implementation of experimental plans and protocols
- Ensure alignment between preclinical safety and discovery colleagues ensuring smooth and efficient transition of projects to Early and Mid-Development
- Lead cross-functional efforts to investigate the mechanism of and the toxicological relevance of in vitro and in vivo data derived from state-of-the-art biochemical and molecular technologies
- Strategically apply expertise to elucidate mechanisms of toxicity, improve risk assessment, and solve scientific problems
- Partner with regulatory toxicologists, molecular toxicologists and other functions to develop optimal strategies to address specific toxicology issues as well as select and advance Development compounds
- Maintain a strong, externally recognized reputation in field of expertise
- Represent AbbVie in industrial consortia and professional organizations focused on improving non-clinical safety assessment
- Oversee technical staff
- DVM and/or PhD in Toxicology or Pathology with typically 8+ years of relevant experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven record of scientific contributions to the scientific community
- Ability to bridge between the Discovery and Development environment
- Ability to lead multidisciplinary scientific teams
- DVM and ACVP certification
- DABT certification
- 5+ years’ experience in pharmaceutical toxicology or pathology, especially in investigative toxicology or pathology
- A background in immuno-oncology
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.