Senior Engineering Project Manager
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Job Description: Senior Engineering Project Manager
Reports To: Director of Engineering, Science & Technology
As a proven and experienced engineering project manager, this individual is responsible for leading a variety of projects bringing our newly developed CoolSculpting® technology and products from our R&D design group into volume production and improve the products that have already been transferred. This entails working across the organization, from the engineers and managers in R&D to all the receiving functions within Operations, including Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality, Materials Planning, Production Control, EH&S, Shipping, and Service to ensure the new products are complete and satisfy the needs of all these customer groups. This individual has a key responsibility to drive accountability and help identify appropriate trade-offs that ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget, and at the targeted maturity to ensure high manufacturing yields and market leading quality and reliability.
In addition, this individual is expected to lead projects when needed to improve the product line, such as cost reduction, EOL, CAPA, and continuous improvement projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned.):
- Plans and directly manages complex cross functional projects that may include external resources and contracted companies.
- Works closely with engineering functional management, and other functions to gain resource commitments and resolve issues.
- Formulates and gains approval for overall project plan in consultation with senior management and stakeholders.
- Monitors progress to plan and implements corrective actions or contingencies as needed to maintain commitments.
- Provides management with regular project status, variances to plan and identification of corrective actions.
- Co-ordinates between projects, maximizes synergies, and helps resolve resource conflicts.
- BS degree in a technical or engineering field, MS desirable. Electrical, Software, Mechanical, or Industrial engineering preferred.
- At least 3+ years in a project management role, plus 3+ years prior technical experience in an engineering or manufacturing engineering position.
- Experience with manufacturing electro-mechanical devices. Medical device experience preferred.
- PMP certification desirable.
- Proven excellence in the use of project management tools and methodologies.
- Experienced in manufacturing and/or bringing new electro-mechanical products into production.
- Proven ability to lead teams and achieve challenging objectives with direct and indirect management of functional resources.
- Experience manufacturing products for the medical devices industry, in an environment employing ISO and FDA quality system regulations. Experience with HIPAA compliant software systems is desired.
- Proven record in process development and improvement.
- Ability to define problems, gather data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and recommendations.
- Excellent communication and organization skills, with an analytical and problem solving mindset.
- Ability to multi-task and complete multiple projects on time.
- Occasional travel (typically <15%), including car or domestic and international flights.
- Responsible for performing all duties in compliance with FDA’s Quality System Regulation (QSR), ISO13485, the Canadian Medical Device Regulations, and all other international regulatory requirements with which ZELTIQ complies.
Language and Verbal Skills:
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret engineering specifications, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, specifications, business correspondence, and procedure manuals in English. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers. Ability to clearly and concisely convey project accomplishments, obstacles, issues, and project status.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in complicated, advanced engineering or mathematical formats.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; up to 8 hours per day. The employee is regularly required to lift and carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and carry up to 25 pounds. Duties also involve daily keyboard data entry. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Most work is performed in an office-like setting. The noise level in the environment is usually low to moderate.
Requires regular presence in a (clinical or engineering or animal) laboratory setting where protective equipment or other health and safety measures and training are required to protect against chemical, biological or other hazards.. Noise levels may be high.
ZELTIQ is committed to the health and safety of our employees. We expect that all employees will perform their responsibilities while maintaining a safe, cooperative, and productive work environment, thus ensuring the health and safety of themselves and others.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.