Counsel, Transactions (Licensing and M&A)
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Counsel, Transactions (Licensing and M&A) will be an integral part of a team of attorneys advising AbbVie’s Business Development and Acquisitions and Ventures teams, along with other key corporate functions. Among other responsibilities, this position will draft and negotiate key transaction agreements, including mergers, acquisitions, licenses and collaborations, options to license and acquire, and venture investment documentation, provide clear legal advice on these matters, and anticipate and address issues promptly with a cross-functional client base.
The Counsel will be responsible for identifying and resolving highly complex legal issues and drafting and negotiating highly complex corporate transactions. The individual assuming the position should:
- Have extensive experience with managing M&A and collaboration/joint-venture transactions; experience with pharmaceutical licensing and collaboration transactions and venture investments and/or equity transactions is strongly preferred.
- Keep abreast of changes in laws that affect pharmaceutical licensing, M&A, and ventures transactions, including antitrust/competition, and other corporate and IP matters.
- Be capable of regularly negotiating highly individualized and sophisticated agreements independently with third parties on matters of strategic importance that affect a substantial portion of AbbVie’s business or are areas of significant importance to management.
- Be capable of regularly engaging in due diligence and independently interpreting complex existing agreements and advising on complex situations that may arise related to transactions.
- Select and direct the work of outside counsel, including defining project objectives and managing projects.
- Maintain and assure compliance with applicable corporate and divisional policies and procedures.
- Analyze and clearly communicate legal advice designed to maximize outcomes for patients and for AbbVie on complex, strategic agreements related to pharmaceutical licenses and collaborations and other strategic alliances, and venture investments.
- Provide clear advice to clients, including management, ensuring that advice maximizes the potential of our pipeline.
- Use good judgment in determining whether and when to elevate issues to senior attorneys and senior management.
- Assist senior legal staff on matters of significant importance to AbbVie that affect a substantial portion of AbbVie's business.
- Serve as recognized source, for both management and other attorneys, of innovative ideas in complex areas of law, business, or technology.
- Provide legal guidance, supervision, and support to paralegals and legal support staff.
- Must possess a J.D. degree.
- Must meet the professional licensing requirement of the state in which they practice within a two-year time-period.
- Excellent legal analysis skills and crisp, concise communicator.
- Honed judgment and ability to identify and quickly address critical issues.
- Strong negotiating skills, and an ability to independently manage complex transactions.
- Ability to use legal training to maximize business opportunities.
- Strong sense of urgency and drive for successful business outcome in all activities.
- 4-7+ years of relevant transactional experience.
- Experience in advising on ongoing complex contractual relationships, such as development collaborations.
- Experience with drafting and negotiating complex pharmaceutical licensing and collaboration transactions.
- Experience in providing legal advice for pharmaceutical research and development.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.