Associate Scientific Director, Precision Medicine Immunology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Associate Scientific Director, PMed Immunology
The Precision Medicine Immunology group is hiring an experienced precision medicine / translational scientist with expertise in immunology and/ or fibrosis who will be responsible for the development, planning, execution, and interpretation of translational medicine activities in support of the immunology clinical development portfolio at AbbVie.
The candidate will:
• Lead the development and implementation of precision medicine and biomarker strategic plans for one or more clinical programs. Responsibility may extend from early translational development activities to mature product life cycle strategies and back translational activities.
• Manage the design, conduct, interpretation, and reporting of biomarker data/activities in line with the development, regulatory, and commercial strategies.
• Lead asset-specific precision medicine projects/teams in a matrix environment.
• Oversee and coordinate operational aspects such as sample management, technical validation of assays both internally and at external CROs, review of SOWs, and data management.
• In collaboration with appropriate stakeholders ensure that clinical translational budgets, timelines, publication strategies, and regulatory compliance requirements are incorporated into program strategy.
• Author and review all translational medicine aspects of clinical and regulatory documents including development plans, study protocols, clinical study reports, and regulatory submissions.
• Lead scientific collaborations and therapeutic area key opinion leader interactions in collaboration with partners from Medical Affairs, Commercial, or other functions.
• Proactively consult primary scientific literature, keep current on state of art technologies and emerging concepts in immunology.
• PhD, PharmD and/or MD with 6+ years or MS with 8+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry or equivalent; substantial understanding of precision medicine / translational science required. Will hire at level according to experience.
• Strong scientific background in immunology or related field supported by publication record in these areas.
• Demonstrated leadership in precision and/or translational sciences (employing pharmacodynamic, predictive and exploratory biomarkers) and experience with relevant assay and sampling technologies.
• Familiarity with data management and visualization tools and collaborating with computational biology to analyze complex data sets emerging from clinical trials.
• Expertise in dermatology, rheumatology, and/or gastroenterology highly desirable
• Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials, companion diagnostics, protocol design, and/or experience in development strategy preferred.
• Ability to manage clinical translational programs and teams with moderate supervision.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to present results in a clear and concise manner, strong organizational skills with attention to detail, and effective time management with an ability to adapt to changing priorities.
• Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills to work in a team-oriented, matrix environment, and the ability to work through conflicts
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.