Sr. Scientist I/II, DMPK Modeling
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Senior Scientist, Quantitative Translational Pharmacology
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. The company's mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world's most complex and serious diseases. AbbVie employs approximately 30,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
The AbbVie portfolio consists of several marketed products in Immunology, Oncology, Virology, and Women’s Health as well as a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules being studied in hundreds of clinical trials or advancing from Discovery into Development. AbbVie is a global organization with US sites in Boston (Worcester, MA), Chicago (North Chicago, IL), and the San Francisco Bay Area (South San Francisco, Redwood City, and Sunnyvale) that will be consolidating into a new facility in South San Francisco in 2021. AbbVie employs more than 1,000 scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots across these sites. They combine their expertise in various therapeutic areas as well as both traditional and novel drug modalities including bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), covalent-inhibitor technologies, and cell-based therapies (CAR-Ts) to discover and develop novel treatments to improve the lives of patients. The location of the position is negotiable based on business needs and candidate preferences. Some travel may be required.
The Quantitative Translational Pharmacology (QTP) group within Drug Metabolism, Pharmacokinetics & Bioanalytics (DMPK-BA) is searching for a Principal Research Scientist to provide mechanistic and translational modeling and project support in all disease areas, informing decision-making in both small and large molecule projects from discovery through the early stages of clinical development. The candidate will establish innovative translational modeling approaches, such as mechanistic PK/PD or systems modeling, across disease and therapeutic areas, as well as provide DMPK-BA project support enabling translation of assets from Discovery into early Development.
- Develop and implement innovative, quantitative analyses and strategies for translational modeling across Discovery and Development projects
- Liaise with Discovery biology, pharmacology, toxicology, biomarker, DMPK-BA and clinical scientists to generate data and knowledge supporting the generation and implementation of translational models
- Establish and maintain effective collaborations with key peer and team stakeholders within DMPK-BA, Discovery and clinical to facilitate knowledge and data integration for target prioritization, biomarker selection, candidate selection, guidance in (pre)clinical study design, human dose prediction and calculation of therapeutic index
- Effectively communicate on strategies related to DMPK and translational modeling and simulation
- Maintain awareness of emerging literature and science in computational approaches and applications
Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- Bachelors (B.S.), Masters (M.S.), or Doctorate (Ph.D.) in in chemical, mechanical, or biomedical engineering; applied mathematics; quantitative pharmaceutical sciences or a related field, with at least 10+ (B.S.), 8+ (M.S.), or 0+ (Ph.D.) years of pharmaceutical industry experience
- Hands-on experience with relevant modeling software and programming languages including MATLAB/Simbiology, R, Python, WinNonLin/Phoenix, etc. is required
- Understanding of small or large molecule drug modalities and relevant analytical methods for measuring drug and biomarker levels in preclinical and clinical study samples is highly desired
- Publication record demonstrating PK/PD or systems modeling examples is highly desired
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to effecttively communicate with both internal and external stakeholders, and to audiences of diverse backgrounds
- Highly-motivated, self-driven and results-oriented person with excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of both leading and being lead
- High degree of flexibility in adapting to different projects and personalities as well as excellent networking and relationship-building skills (both internal and external) required
- Passion for data analysis, solving technical problems and applying new technologies to further scientific goals and answer key scientific questions enabling informed decision-making
- Additional prior experience in an experimental in vitro or in vivo biology field is desired
- Doctorate (Ph.D.) in chemical, mechanical, or biomedical engineering; applied mathematics; quantitative pharmaceutical sciences or a related field, with at least 0-4 years of pharmaceutical industry experience
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly when necessary
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.