Senior Scientist, Engineering I
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Senior Scientist I, Process Engineering
Process Research and Development invents chemical processes and prepares active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) to enable clinical trials, toxicology studies, and drug product development for AbbVie’s pre-clinical and clinical drug pipeline. In addition to working with small molecules, Process R&D also develops antibody drug conjugates (ADC). We create valuable intellectual property through composition of matter, chemical processes, and technologies resulting in cost effective commercial manufacturing processes. We develop the supply chain for APIs and prepare and defend CMC (Chemistry, Manufacturing and Control) regulatory content. Chemical Engineers in AbbVie's R&D work in multi-functional teams to develop scalable processes and supply API for safety testing, clinical trials, and formulation development.
Chemical Engineers support API projects through all phases of development. Early in development, engineers focus on ensuring that the process can be run safely, identifying and addressing scale-up issues and developing the final (API) process step. Later in the development process, engineers optimize the API process and lead process campaigns run in the R&D Pilot Plant. In the final stage of development, engineers transfer the optimized process to manufacturing sites, develop control strategy, prepare reports to support regulatory filings, and support process validation.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the Process Engineering function, within Process R&D. The core deliverable of the function is to develop robust processes to manufacture ADCs and small molecule APIs.
- Develop robust scale up and manufacturing processes, supporting ADC and small molecule API projects through all phases of development.
- Address challenging problems with chemical reactions, separations, and/or isolations using expertise in chemical kinetics, transport phenomena, and mathematical modeling.
- Perform laboratory experiments and/or process modeling to support process understanding efforts.
- Exhibit a collaborative nature in identifying process challenges on a wide range of projects and communicate findings and recommendations effectively by maintaining strong working relationships with functions within Process R&D and the greater CMC team.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Chemical Engineering or a related field and 10-12 (BS), 8-10 (MS), or 0-4 (PhD) years of relevant industrial experience required.
- Job level will be commensurate with academic experience and work experience.
- Candidates are expected to have a strong background in chemical engineering and the proven ability to demonstrate their skills in this field.
- The candidate is required to possess effective oral and written communication skills and be a strong team player.
- Experience with performing and optimizing chromatography and/or chromatography modeling.
- Understanding of cGMP.
- Working knowledge of analytical techniques such as HPLC, GC, and microscopy.
- Experience with laboratory experiments and process scale-up.
- Familiarity with operation of chemical process equipment and systems.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and enables innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.