Associate Director, R&D Communications
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Associate Director, Research & Development Communications, helps develop and execute internal and external strategies that support AbbVie’s position as a research-based, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical company.
Specifically, the Associate Director leads strategic communications initiatives on behalf of AbbVie’s Discovery organization and serves on the Global Drug Discovery Leadership Team (GDDLT).
Additionally, the Associate Director collaborates closely with colleagues across AbbVie’s Corporate Communications team to identify and drive editorial content and storytelling opportunities that advance AbbVie’s scientific narrative.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Leads communications for the Discovery R&D organization, responsible for building and sustaining AbbVie’s reputation as a research-based, innovation driven company with both internal and external audiences
- Works closely with senior R&D leadership and provides strategic communications counsel
- Develops and implements internal and external leader communications for AbbVie’s Vice President of Discovery
- Manages media relations strategies and associated activities to raise awareness about discovery research and AbbVie’s early pipeline
- Manages communications activities related to early-stage R&D partnerships, including relevant partner announcements, disclosures, and general joint storytelling opportunities with partners
- Drives the direction and production of science-focused content (e.g. web, social, other digital content) in partnership with corporate marketing team to support broader AbbVie brand objectives and discovery and development capabilities
- Serves as primary liaison to corporate marketing team to ensure that our science story is fully integrated and reflected in corporate brand activities
- Showcase AbbVie talent and innovation by overseeing the development and execution of R&D thought leadership platform, including awards, and speaking opportunities
- Interfaces with various division and corporate constituencies, including government affairs, investor relations, legal, finance, marketing, regulatory, medical, clinical and senior management
- Oversees management of agencies that support the development of presentations and other communications products
- Coaches key R&D leaders on message delivery and external engagements
- A minimum of 7-10 years of experience in the development and execution of strategic communications programs in the healthcare sector, preferably the biopharmaceutical field
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism and communications is preferred; PhD also preferred
- Must have experience developing executive communication presentations, speeches and related content
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.