Scientist II/Senior Scientist I, Protein Analytics
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Scientist II/Senior Scientist I
We are searching for a highly motivated Scientist II/Senior Scientist I to join our Protein Analytics team at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA. Our team is responsible for the development, qualification, and execution of analytical methods to provide product and process understanding for biological entities from discovery through commercial stages.
As a Scientist II/Senior Scientist I, you will be a part of the Analytical Characterization Group (ACG) within the Protein Analytics Department. ACG focuses on providing routine, investigative, and in-depth characterization analyses of AbbVie’s biologics to support product and process development for early-phase, late-phase, and commercial programs using liquid chromatography mass spectrometry (LC-MS), spectroscopy and various other biophysical assays.
The successful candidate will contribute to the development and performance of analytical assays and will contribute to the continuous improvement and innovation within ACG and the Protein Analytics Department.
- Independently perform mass spectrometry analyses (i.e., intact/reduced mass analysis by LC-MS and peptide mapping by LC-MS) of AbbVie’s biologics to provide sequence verification and post-translational modification profiles.
- Independently perform separation methods (e.g., fractionation of variants) and biophysical methods (e.g., DSC) of AbbVie’s biologics to support characterization studies.
- Design and execute experiments for method development and/or investigations.
- Support process development by performing raw material analysis using vibrational spectroscopy and executing metabolomics experiments using LC-MS.
- Generate and communicate precise, reliable, and reproducible data in a timely manner.
- Organize and document experiments and results in an electronic laboratory notebook.
- Draft, author, and review protocols, method development reports, and technical characterization reports.
- Maintain and troubleshoot laboratory equipment.
- PhD, Masters, or Bachelors in chemistry, biology, biochemistry or related technical discipline with typically 0+ (PhD), 5+ (MS), or 8+ (BS) years of relevant experience in biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting.
- Hands-on experience with protein mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography, and protein biophysical characterization.
- Fundamental understanding of protein structure, post-translational modifications, and analytical methods used for protein characterization.
- Working knowledge of bioinformatics tools to process and analyze mass spectrometry data.
- Knowledge of vibrational spectroscopy (e.g., IR, NIR and Raman) and multivariate analysis is desirable.
- Proficient with Windows 10 and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Excellent written communication, oral communication, organization, and multitasking skills.
- Hardworking and motivated to drive both efficiency and quality.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, and appropriate handling of materials.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.