*This job is located on the Peninsula*
BioPhase Solutions specializes in recruiting top talented professionals for California's Scientific community. We are currently looking for curious and creative Scientists to join a collaborative, high performing team at a growing Bay Area biotechnology company. *This is a direct hire, FTE role. Not a contract.
Scientist / Senior Scientist (target validation)
*leveling based on amount of relevant experience
Design and execute experiments for small molecule target validation.
- Develop clear biological hypotheses for multiple novel target genes, select appropriate assays, then establish and validate their mechanism of action in cell models through genomics (CRISPR, RNAi) and pharmacological tools.
- Establish and profile new human iPSC-based cell models and cell-based assays suitable for investigating target biology in neurodegenerative diseases.
- Propose additional mechanisms and disease indications with putative targets and nominate related biological targets through a deep understanding of the literature.
- Serve as an internal domain expert for top biological mechanisms, disease models, and cell-based assays in the field.
- Work cross-functionally with computational biologists, neurobiologists, chemists, intellectual property experts, and business development to make strategic target recommendations.
- Work within collaborations with external partners, academic institutions, CROs and consultants as required.
- The Senior Scientist position may involve coordination and mentoring of junior technical staff, participate in research planning while working independently on high-priority projects.
- PhD with 2+ plus years of experience in neuroscience, or related discipline (neurodegeneration experience preferred)
- Expertise in neurobiology-related gene function investigation in industry or academia.
- Previous work leading early discovery programs with novel target identification and validation responsibilities.
- Complex human disease model (iPSC-derived, primary cell, 3D co-cultures, organoids, etc.) generation and characterization experience.
- Experience working with genomics, human genetics, and next-generation sequencing datasets, ideally in collaboration with computational teams. Experience with commonly used bioinformatics tools and databases (e.g., R or Python for bioinformatics analyses) is a plus.
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and be resourceful.
- Strategic, “systems-level,” and “outside-the-box” mindset and enjoy understanding how pieces fit together in the larger scientific and competitive landscape.