Executive Director, Data and Decision Science
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
At Amgen, every challenge is an opportunity. And every opportunity brings the potential to change lives. Our shared mission-to serve patients-has driven our status as one of the world's preeminent biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Leverage your high-level expertise to lead and forge partnerships that advance the biotechnical and biopharmaceutical science that can turn the tide of serious, life-interrupting illnesses.
What you will do
Let's do this. Let's change the world. In this vital role the Executive Director of Data and Decision Science within Global Commercial Capabilities (GCC) is accountable for owning global standards and solutions for Data Science and Omni-channel Analytics, as well as Data and Platforms for Amgen's commercial and/or medical organizations. In addition, the Executive Director must manage relationships across a complex internal set of teams and functional groups.
- Oversees Data Science and Omni-channel Analytics teams and Data and Platforms team with responsibility for globally owned standards, processes and tools across Next Best Action, Campaign Analytics, Customer Analytics, Return on Investment, and Resource Optimization and Allocation
- Partners with stakeholders across the organization to create scalable and production-grade AI/ML products
- Provides Data and Decision Science capability expertise and direction to the GCC organization
- Maintain an awareness of current research and standard methodologies in the field of data analytics, including, best practices in analytics and changes in the landscape that would impact the ability to conduct analytics and proactively assess next steps - Stop, Continue, Optimize current strategic roadmap
- Leads the development and execution of Data and Decision Science priorities and roadmap
- Leads efforts to anticipate and plan for Data and Decision activities of the future through market sensing, customer/account pulse and assessment of industry trends
- Primary point of contact for senior Commercial leaders to engage with data and omni-channel analytics
- Engages and communicates with key stakeholders on the impact, status and success of Data and Decision Science capability initiatives
- Oversees efforts to develop globally owned tools for cross-functional collaboration through data access and integration process
- Serves as the single point of contact for all Customer 360 initiatives related to Decision Sciences, and works together with other CD&A/cross-functional members to help drive the overall C360 initiative
- Develops, coaches, leads, and retains a dynamic, high-performing Data and Decision Sciences team
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Data and Decision Sciences professional we seek is a leader with these qualifications.
- Doctorate degree & 6 years of experience in statistics, operations research, mathematics, econometrics, business administration or a quantitative field OR
- Master's degree & 10 years of experience statistics, operations research, mathematics, econometrics, business administration or a quantitative field OR
- Bachelor's degree & 12 years of experience statistics, operations research, mathematics, econometrics, business administration or a quantitative field AND
- 6 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Relevant data science certifications and Bio/Pharmaceutical industry experience
- 10+ years of innovative Data Science/Advanced Analytics leadership experience
- Experience in AI, Machine Learning, quantitative methods, multivariate statistics, predictive modelling and other analytics frameworks/techniques with 12+ years of experience delivering complex analytical projects
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in Amazon Web Services: RedShift, S3, Athena, etc. and industry standard Data Warehousing technologies: Snowflake, Spark, Airflow, etc.
- Advanced proficiency and hands on coding experience in Python/R/Scala/Java or any other Object-Oriented Programming language; ETL using SQL/shell scripting
- Experience in successfully executing AI/ML based Next Best Action recommendation engine to optimize against desired objective function(s)
- Expertise in setting up and measuring randomized controlled trials, cohort studies, and matched, case-control studies
- Comprehensive understanding of the components of setting up data models and running scenario planning that match the business need
- Experience in setting up process for data ingestion, Quality Checks etc.
- Thorough understanding of tagging, Google Analytics, CRM, Content Management Systems, and other Components of a Digital Marketing Ecosystem.
- Executive presence by which one can quickly establish credibility with and influence SVP/EVP level staff
- Leadership experience in building and developing high performance teams, delivering results, and shaping the future
- Ability to foster and encourage an environment of openness and transparency in seeking diverse opinions and empower risk-taking in idea generation, idea incubation and/or experimentation
- The ideal candidate will lead the creation of an analytics-driven culture that drives top-line growth, controls costs, and takes timely corrective action to reduce risks that derail plans
- Ability to think strategically about issues impacting an entire portfolio of therapeutics across geographies and stages of development
- Experience managing multiple senior stakeholders, prioritizing across a multitude of responsibilities and allocating resources to drive maximum impact
- Partners with business leaders to deliver high-quality predictions that guide strategic decision making
- Oral, written and presentation skills to explain complex concepts and controversial findings clearly to a variety of audiences, including senior management
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and bringing forward innovative solutions
- Ability to identify areas for process and systems innovation and implement change that will enhance the overall effectiveness of the team
- Comfortable working through and leading large-scale global change management
- Understanding of technology platforms and ability to partner with IS/IT and business leaders
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates' professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Clear and disciplined strategic vision for the future that leverages superior-quality products, operational excellence and top-shelf-talent
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission - to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do. We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and uses its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.