Director, Protein Sciences
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM’s current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting liver and metabolic diseases, retinal diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, aldafermin (NGM282), is in Phase 2b clinical studies in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and is wholly-owned by NGM. Another drug candidate, NGM621, is in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, with a current term running to March 2022, provides us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
NGM is excited to hire a leader for our Protein Science Group. This role is intended for an expert in Protein Sciences who has previous experience developing Large Molecule Therapeutics. We are looking for a seasoned researcher with superb communication skills, a knack for managing teams, and a passion for innovation.
- Lead part of our Protein Science Group, advancing our therapeutic programs and serving as a model of scientific excellency
- Develop and implement technologies and processes to enhance our protein sciences capabilities
- Enthusiastically speak to internal and external collaborators and investors about the research direction of our group
- Manage scientific projects, setting timelines, offering scientific direction, and delegating tasks
- Serve as a thoughtful contributor to NGM’s scientific decision making processes, offering go/no-go perspective for project direction
- Serve as an expert in at least one of these areas: protein chemistry, characterization, expression systems, cell line development, molecule attribute analysis
- Ph.D. with a strong track record of contributions to the field of large molecule development
- Previous experience managing a group of 10+ researchers
- Previous experience leading biologics and/or large molecule drug discovery in a biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical company
- Deep understanding of protein sciences, with a subject expertise in one of the following areas: protein expression, protein purification and characterization, and protein activity assays
- Collaborative scientific worldview; a leader for cross-functional discourse
- Track record of communicative growth; a trajectory of getting better at listening and becoming better at articulating complexity and nuance
- Thoughtful approach to feedback; a proven ability to facilitate scientific and professional feedback conversations that inspire growth and transformation
Interested applicants should click apply
We have become aware of false offers of employment being made by individuals impersonating NGM representatives in order to collect personal information and/or payment. Please exercise caution when receiving unsolicited recruiting offers. NGM always lists all open positions on the NGM careers page and all employment applications must be submitted through our online portal. NGM will never solicit payment or payment information from candidates. Please be advised that NGM is not currently hiring in any countries other than the US. We never request that candidate information be sent to a non-ngmbio.com email address.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency résumés. NGM Bio is not responsible for any fees related to résumés that are unsolicited.