Principal National Medical Outcomes Science Liaison - Field Based, Nationwide
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Principal Medical Outcomes and Science Liaison (Principal MOSL) is a field-based scientific expert with responsibility for top National/Federal payer accounts of critical impact to the AbbVie enterprise who applies clinical expertise and experience/knowledge of managed care, health policy, and pharmacoeconomics to strategically support AbbVie's scientific strategy and business objectives across the product portfolio and relevant therapeutic areas. The Principal MOSL engages in peer to peer scientific and health economic discussions with top tier national and relevant regional external health care access decision makers (HCDMs) and influencers at US public and private payers and related entities including, but not limited to, managed care organizations (MCOs), specialty pharmacy providers (SPPs), pharmaceutical benefit managers (PBMs), integrated delivery networks (IDNs), and employers and employee health benefit consultants (EHBCs).
• The Principal Medical Outcomes and Science Liaison seeks to proactively identify key national/Federal payer partners (HCDMs) within defined critical impact accounts, serving as the primary medical liaison between AbbVie and the customer, builds strong relationships to understand customer needs, and facilitates generation of real world evidence (RWE) consistent with approved therapeutic area research plans. The Principal MOSL represents the most advanced level of the MOSL role advancing field scientific strategies and serving as a role model to field medical peer, leading within the MOSL team.
• Medical lead within the integrated account team (Key Account Management/KAM team) for assigned account responsibilities serving an integral role in appropriate planning, strategy development and execution within an account (core team comprised of National MOSL, National Account Director, National Account Manager, and other relevant stakeholders). Proactive key account responsibilities include but are not limited to national/"child" regional affiliate relationships, specialty pharmacy, and employer clients. Partnership with key HCDMs.
• Serve at a management/leadership level in therapeutic area and healthcare landscape strategic planning and issue resolution; this may include serving as a given therapeutic area or channel sponsor, participating in cross functional strategic meetings and regularly interfacing with key internal stakeholders.
• Advanced and customized communication of scientific, health outcomes, and health policy information to HCDMs and influencers. Document and communicate meaningful data point observations (DPOs) which lead to insights on a regular basis; Identify relevant emerging scientific, health economic, and health policy trends and integrate gaps/learnings into functional strategy and objectives.
• Primary interface and initial point of contact for large scale real world evidence opportunities with national level HCDMs.
• Integrate and partner with US Medical Affairs, Market Access, Health Economics Outcomes Research, and other internal stakeholders as designated Medical KAM lead for top National/Federal payer accounts of critical impact to the AbbVie enterprise as appropriate and as identified through Value and Access.
• Anticipate, identify and address population level scientific, outcomes research, and health policy needs of customers serving as trusted advisor to the customer. Leverage internal and external resources to meet customer needs.
• Facilitate scientific exchange, as necessary, between AbbVie senior Medical Leadership, including USMA, TA Medical Directors, Clinical Development, and HEOR with senior leaders from priority accounts, such as Chief Medical/Executive Officer(s), Chief Pharmacy Officer, VP Industry Relations, etc. to support internal and external customer objectives.
• Maintain and continually enhance clinical, scientific, and healthcare landscape expertise. Participate in various therapeutic advisory activities involving both marketed and investigational products, spanning the full product life-cycle.
• Train, coach, and mentor new and current MOSLs in their advancement within their role and scope of activity and in building strong future candidates for roles as National MOSLs. Provide guidance and strategic direction to MOSLs with accounts affiliated with key payer organizations supported by the National MOSL. Collaborate with GMI and HEOR to maintain AMCP dossiers for marketed AbbVie products.
• Advanced degree required, preferably M.D., D.O., Pharm.D. or Ph.D.
• The position requires five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in a Managed Care/PBM, VA/DoD, CMS, State Medicaid, health care consulting, pharmaceutical industry or related environment. Completion of relevant Residency or Fellowship programs may be considered in lieu of some work experience. Account management experience in a commercial or clinical setting is preferred.
• Advanced scientific and business acumen - Includes sophisticated understanding of the healthcare landscape.
• Advanced communication skills (verbal, written)
• Self-motivated and solution oriented
• Advanced ability to network and collaborate effectively across multiple levels within an organization
• Advanced technical expertise and business analysis skills
• Advances Innovative problem solving skills
• Advanced critical thinking skills
• An essential requirement of the position is to meet health care industry representative (HCIR) credentialing requirements to gain entry into facilities and organizations that are in the assigned territory. These HCIR credentialing requirements may include, but are not limited to, background checks, drug screens, and proof of immunization/vaccination for various diseases.
Significant Work Activities
Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Driving a personal auto or company car or truck, or a powered piece of material handling equipment
Yes, 50 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.