Associate Director Search & Evaluation Aesthetics
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Please note this position could be located in Cambridge area or Bay area.
The Search and Evaluation group actively supports the global Business Development (BD) goals by executing on strategic opportunities from academic institutions, biotech/ pharma companies and venture firms for potential research collaborations, in-licensing/ out-licensing assets, venture investments, and company acquisitions. The group is responsible for leading the global search efforts for assets of high strategic value aligning with the needs of AbbVie R&D organization's pipeline goals, and conducting thorough technical due diligence to ensure an in-depth understanding of the science behind each of the those opportunities.
- Proactively search, identify and evaluate potential opportunities that include research collaboration, in-licensing and out-licensing preclinical and clinical assets, platform technologies and research tools that are consistent with external business development strategies for the advancement of AbbVie' s pipeline, and driving sustainable growth for the Company.
- Support the assessment (in conjunction with the S&E TA leads, and subject matter experts), including: 1) managing the interactions with external parties, 2) overseeing the evaluation process and timelines and 3) developing recommendations and proposals for senior management consideration based on thorough and complete technical and commercial assessments.
- Support due diligence activities for advanced opportunities, prepare initial technical documents and present those to the senior management. In partnership with the transaction teams (TLC/ BD/ AbbVie Ventures) ensures alignment with AbbVie's TA objectives and functional management.
- Communicate status of ongoing deals to key internal stakeholders on a timely basis, including preparation of opportunity assessments and summaries for executive-level audiences. Deliver oral and written presentations to senior management to seek approval for new opportunities.
- Communicate and network with potential external parties to ensure awareness of AbbVie key capabilities and BD objectives. May lead a team of 2-5 analysts/managers responsible for S&E efforts for the given TA.
- Facilitate and maintain opportunity identification and assessment processes to ensure a strong and well-balance licensing pipeline.
- Fully leverage and utilize new and existing external and internal opportunity management tools (e.g. Inova) to support the operations of the growing S&E group as it relates to tracking incoming opportunities.
- Support, and may lead, the efforts for business process improvement initiatives through R&D organization and BD teams in line with the current industry standards to help AbbVie attain sustainable growth.
- Support the efforts for creating evergreen external BD strategies that align with AbbVie's overall TA strategy and pipeline goals.
- Contribute towards the negotiation process including agreement on key terms and, execution of legal agreements and integrate assets into AbbVie
- Bachelor's degree in a related scientific field (e.g. biology, chemistry) required. Advanced scientific degree strongly preferred.
- 8-10 years of drug and device development or Business Development work experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industries required / 6+ with masters / 4+ with PhD.
- Must possess a solid foundation in drug discovery processes and/or design controls processes for device development, with in depth knowledge of at least one aspect of Drug and Device Development, or strong knowledge of multiple aspects of drug development (e.g., pre-clinical research, clinical development, Regulatory Affairs, Chemistry Manufacturing and Controls (CMC)).
- Must posses basic understanding of the aesthetics portfolios and advances in the science of aging.
- Must possess basic knowledge of generally accepted Business Development practices, e.g. financial, contracting, governance review.
- Strong Project management/ leadership skills to lead/manage multifunctional teams to evaluate target opportunities and produce high quality analyses. Ability to drive projects to deliver timely results and follow through on commitments.
- Strong communication skills to effectively communicate business strategies and capabilities internally and externally, present individual and team recommendations clearly and concisely, and promote cross-functional communication.
- Strong networking skills to reach out to a broad range of industry decision makers to keep abreast of emerging opportunities. Strong business acumen and ability to drive fact-based decision making. Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team strongly preferred.
- Ability to influence team members in a cross-functional or matrixed environment toward achieving common business objectives required
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills in deal settings to creatively solve problems with partner companies and close deals that create a win-win relationship for both parties
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.