Sr. Publications Manager
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Summary: The Senior Publications Manager will maximize the reach of AbbVie's scientific communication within AbbVie's strategic customer segments. This position will be responsible for developing scientifically accurate publications and presentations, as well as leading the publication strategy. Develops a strategic plan and manages a tactical publication plan for journals and congresses aligned with therapeutic area (TA) teams and with input from the following US and global teams: clinical, epidemiology, health economics and outcomes research and marketing. Establishes scientific publication direction under the direction of the TA Medical Director and Director, Publications. Serves as the focal point on all pre-and post-marketing publication issues and opportunities related to publication strategy, content communication tactics delivery, and other related activities for brands / indications. This position will report to the Director of Global Medical Publications of Eyecare, Infectious Disease, and Hepatitis C Virus.
- Leads and is accountable for the Scientific development and the tactical implementation of an publication plan for brands / indications. Leads the development and the management of the annual budget.
- Leads the development of a specific publication strategy. Develops and maintains long-term and short-term publication plans and strategies the appropriate gathering and integration of customer and market insights, the development and presentation of a compelling business case for the proposed publication plan, and the assessment of the resource required and the timing of their mobilization.
- Leads and manages a publication team made of internal and external resources. Proposes and gets the endorsement of the different internal team members regarding the selection of the type of publication to go after (e.g., manuscript, abstract, poster, etc.) and the content dissemination venue suited to communicate the developed content. Takes into consideration other brands publication programs to create synergies and avoids sub-optimal timing.
- Plans and monitors the implementation of specific publication tactics. Plans and communicates the publication timing with respective internal stakeholders to timely schedule the delivery of the proposed content through the different channels.
- Manages the external and internal resources to work on publication deliverables (e.g., content drafting, content editing, abstract submission, etc.). Periodically, tracks the status of content development internally, and mobilizes external writers if required.
- Leads periodic review meetings with internal stakeholders to communicate progress on the implementation plan, to ensure quality and timeliness of the content development process, to address potential upcoming issues, to propose, if necessary, a risk mitigation plan and to check the timely submission of the content.
- Integrates publication performance metrics periodically. Communicates and informed overall status of the publication strategy and implementation plan to the medical affairs, the brand and the R&D teams
- Leads and/or provides support to manage the relationship with external stakeholders involved in the publication process
- Positions him/herself as the publication point of contact in the eyes of the external stakeholders. Initiates and manages live meetings with external stakeholders. Informs them on AbbVie's publication portfolio process. Is proactive in creating opportunities to work with colleagues who may have some existing relationships with external scientific thought leaders
- Identifies the external stakeholder publication needs and reports them to the publication portfolio team and manages the discussion to resource and potentially address needs.
- Provides scientific knowledge and strategic inputs to support the scientific platform. Delivers a training program for AbbVie's publication strategy to other department of the company and external audiences (e.g., agencies, thought leaders, etc.). Maintains professional relationships with department heads and above in the company. Develops professional relationships with outside vendors. Owns and delivers presentations within the Company as required with input from supervisor.
- Improves professional knowledge by attending seminars, classes, workshops and through regular reading of scientific literature. Keeps current in product and medical knowledge, best GPP practices, and applicable regulations and guidance. Develops and communicates GPP SOPs across TAs. Monitors compliance to SOPs.
- Leads the contracting process with multiple agencies, for different TAs. Negotiates contracts (with the optional support of the contracting organization) with key vendors / agencies, ensuring that contract terms maximize value for AbbVie's brands. Ensures that the contract development and the approval process flow through internal Allergan departments, and are as efficient as possible. Collects and presents publication budget data from external and internal sources, for multiple TAs.
- Leads the development of a strategic dashboard that captures the performance of the publication process across brands and indications. Oversees the accurate tracking and communication process of the publication planning performance metrics. Troubleshoots publication planning issues that might be highlighted in the reports, across brands.
- PhD in a scientific discipline and 4 years' publications experience or MS in a scientific discipline and 7 years' publications experience is preferred.
- 4+ years' relevant industry experience in medical/scientific publications, either in the pharmaceutical industry or related field (e.g., medical communication agency) is required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate a team without reporting relationship authority. Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a strong and stable network within the internal organization. Previous responsibility for managing key vendor relationships is preferred.
- Prior ownership for developing and executing scientific strategic plans and tactics focused on various audiences is desired.
- Experience in developing scientific communication strategies and tactics, including the launch of new products and lifecycle management activities for specific audiences (investigators, payers, thought leaders, trade associations, etc.)
- Experience in executing and in overseeing highly complex programs and projects and strategic planning experience is required.
- Experience working in a highly matrixed organization with working knowledge of the AbbVie contracting process.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.