2021 Experiential Internship Summer Researcher
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The summer researcher will focus on advancing our internal drug delivery capabilities at the discovery-development interface. Specifically, the researcher will be responsible for compilation of available information on marketed products to develop computational tools to aid in first-pass feasibility assessment to match emerging chemical matter with suitable drug delivery technologies.
- Ability to apply research findings, interpret and analyze results, develop, and implement a logical, and strategic plan of action.
- The candidate must be mature and able to conduct independent research/make meaningful progress remotely.
- Experience in parenteral controlled drug delivery systems including implants, microspheres, in situ-forming depots, etc.
- Experience in documenting and archiving contributions including literature search/data mining, physicochemical properties, assessment of drug delivery technologies, summary presentations and reports.
- Ability to thrive in a high-performance culture with excellent time management, decision-making, and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills with strong attention to detail and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to apply research findings, interpret and analyze results, develop and implement a logical, and strategic plan of action.
- The candidate will have fundamental knowledge of physicochemical properties, biopharmaceutical properties, and pharmacokinetics as they relate to drug delivery and formulation design.
- The candidate must have comprehensive knowledge of polymer-based parenteral sustained release formulations, polymer degradation mechanisms and characterization techniques
- Computational modeling or coding would be beneficial, but not required.
- Minimum GPA = 3.0/4.0
- Returning to university for at least one semester and graduating within one-year post internship
- Currently enrolled in university, pursuing a PhD in any discipline of chemical /biomedical engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, or materials science
- Demonstrated leadership skills (i.e. extracurricular activities or projects)
- Must be authorized to work in the US on a permanent basis without requiring sponsorship
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.