Analytical Research Associate Chemist I or II
Research Associate, Analytical Chemistry, South San Francisco
Job Title: Analytical Research Associate Chemist I or II
Description: Pliant Therapeutics is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of novel therapies for fibrotic diseases. Founded by Third Rock Ventures with world-renowned academic thought leaders, Pliant is raising the bar for progress to meet unmet medical needs for patients and physicians. The company’s focus is on mechanism-based intervention in the fibrotic process using small molecules. The Company is seeking passionate, creative and dedicated scientists to join our team and contribute to our mission.
Position Overview: An immediate opening is available for an Analytical Research Associate Chemist in Chemistry. This individual will join a dynamic and growing multidisciplinary team focused on discovery and advancement of new drug candidates.
The RA Analytical Chemist is responsible for daily analysis and processing of complex materials used to support multiple Pliant drug discovery programs. Position is full time and provides opportunity to use teamwork, innovation skills and advanced laboratory equipment to solve challenging chemical problems. The job will involve sample processing and method development using analytical HPLC, preparative HPLC, normal phase purification and LCMS, and will work closely with our medicinal chemistry, compound management and in vitro biology teams.
- Sample preparation and analysis by HPLC and LC-MS.
- Purification of medicinal chemistry samples from milligram to gram scale in single and parallel formats.
- Quality control of purified compounds, and subsequent processing for registration, storage and biological screening.
- Maintain and operate analytical and preparative chromatographic instrumentation.
- Maintain high level of scientific standards and safety practices.
- Keep current and accurate records of project research and related activities according to Pliant policies.
- Stay current with technology advances and be proactive in incorporating new ideas to improve drug discovery process.
- Collaborate effectively with diverse scientific discovery teams.
- BS/MS in Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or closely related field with typically 0+ years (MS); or 2+ years (BS) of job-related experience.
- Hands-on experience with analytical HPLC, preparative HPLC, and mass spectrometry.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot a variety of hardware/software platforms.
- Proven effective organizational, written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact with scientists and engineers.
- Awareness of synthetic organic chemistry and the ability to communicate effectively with medicinal chemistry and biology teams.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Experience with instrument troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Experience with laboratory automation.