Senior EHS Technician II
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Senior EHS Technician II will implement and maintain environmental, health and safety (EHS) programs for AbbVie's Bay Area sites as assigned by EHS management. These programs are in accordance with existing and established federal, state, local and company regulations that are in place to reduce AbbVie's liability and/or impact on the community.
- Provides general support to EHS staff on programs and other EHS initiatives (i.e., coordinating laboratory project rollouts, recycling/cleanout initiatives, PPE assessments, analysis of EHS data/metrics)
- Ownership is taken to ensure compliance with current regulations and requirements, and internal R&D policies/procedures, AbbVie Engineering Standards and Global EHS Technical Standards are followed.
- Assures that assigned EHS policies, programs, training, and procedures are developed/updated and implemented
- Performs routine EHS inspections to ensure compliance with local EHS regulations and company EHS standards.
- Participates in EHS audits of lab areas and assists with tracking and implementing corrective / preventive actions.
- Mentors scientists, site operations and general administrative staff on how to apply EHS principles to their daily job tasks and how to implement safe work practices which will help reduce risk for injury/illness.
- Assists EHS team with management, disposal, and documentation of hazardous and regulated wastes.
- Assists EHS team with overseeing compliance with transportation safety requirements applicable to site shipping/receiving activities.
- High school diploma with a minimum of three year's relevant experience required.
- Associates or Bachelors degree in a related environment, health, and safety field with 1-3 years related experience preferred.
- Technical operation of some general aspects of an environmental, health and safety program preferred.
- Work experience in the pharmaceutical industry, especially in a research and development environment preferred.
- General understanding of regulatory requirements for environmental, health and safety
- Knowledge and work experience with management of hazardous waste and medical waste preferred.
- Knowledge and work experience in management of hazardous materials or dangerous goods preferred.
Desired Professional Skills:
- High level data interpretation and independent problem resolution
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must have strong interpersonal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with all levels of the organization.
- Must have the ability to solve a wide range of problems with support from EH&S professional staff on complex issues.
- Must be proficient in MS Office products.
- Must be capable of obtaining DOT/IATA certification for dangerous goods classification.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.