Sr. Research Techician, Histopathology Core
POSITION SUMMARY: The technician will perform histological and immunohistochemical procedures, contributing to the provision of services to internal and external users. The technician is responsible for the daily functioning and maintenance of the core services as well as for the maintenance and oversight of the adjacent shared equipment and facilities, include training of HSS researchers that require access to the shared equipment. The technician will attend to weekly meetings, maintain logs for reagents, slides and ongoing and completed projects, and will contribute to reporting and invoicing for provided services.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Process (fixation, embedding) and section tissues from different species for histological and immunohistochemical (IHC) analyses.
- Perform histology and immunohistochemical assays and contribute to analyses.
- Optimize and troubleshoot protocols, interacting with the Histopathology Service users, the Directors of the Service and the HSS Research Pathologist.
- Oversee and maintain the shared, user-driven Histopathology space and provide basic training for HSS users, including staff and students.
- Provide intensive training as part of the fee-for-service requests.
- Liaise with investigators, Hospital staff, and users of the Histopathology service, including phone calls, email communications, or videoconferencing.
- Carry out clerical and technical tasks, including maintain stocks and sample and service requests logs, prepare invoices, and accessioning.
- Take an active role in the generation of reports and delivery of results.
- Equipment maintenance to achieve the optimum instrument performance and maintain a clean and safe working environment
- General filing and archiving of requests forms, reports and slides
- Participate in Departmental Meetings.
Minimum job requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Experienced and proficient in histological and immunohistochemical techniques
- Experienced and proficient with equipment for processing, sectioning and imaging
- Proficient with computers and software
- Ability to work in a team, strong time management, and organizational skills
- Prior experience managing confidential information