Principal Scientist, Neurodegeneration
Principal Scientist, Neurodegeneration
Salt Lake City
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. We are working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
Recursion Pharmaceuticals is at the forefront of integrating cell biology, automation and machine learning to develop phenotypic cellular disease models for high throughput screening and compound optimization. We are seeking a Scientist with significant drug discovery experience in cellular neuroscience, neuroimmunology, or neuropharmacology to lead our neurodegeneration projects. You will:
- Independently create new human disease models of neurodegeneration using iPSC glial and neuronal cell lines including co-culture systems.
- Independently develop, optimize and validate in vitro biochemical and cellular orthogonal assays suitable to support compound optimization
- Lead internal and external facing drug discovery programs.
- Share your knowledge and experience by mentoring research associates and scientists in best practices for drug discovery (target ID to IND)
The Team You’ll Join
You will join a diverse, dynamic team of innovative scientists working to develop novel therapies for neurological diseases. By collaborating with in vitro and in vivo biology, chemistry and data science team members you will work at the interface of neuroscience and machine learning to create complex disease model systems that evaluate drug candidates. As our teams are small and nimble, we are excited by independent and motivated investigators to guide our projects. You will report to a Director with minimal daily oversight and in this role your input and data will guide decisions impacting compounds and projects.
The Experience You’ll Need
- A Ph.D. degree in cell biology, neuroscience, pharmacology or related field
- 8+ years post graduate experience with 3-5+ years in pharma or biotech industry required
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects in collaboration with external partners from inception to IND application.
- Deep experience in cellular neuroscience, neurodegeneration and assay development required, experience with human iPSC derived CNS cell types preferred
- Can work in a dynamic environment within a cross functional team
- Proficiency in the use of automation and image analysis tools required.
- Proficiency in Spotfire and/or CDD analysis tools, statistical analysis and common computer software (GraphPad Prism and Microsoft Suite) required.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
*Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic
More About Us
Recursion’s mission is to decode biology to radically improve lives. Unraveling the exceptional complexity of biological systems and delivering the next generation of biotherapeutics at unprecedented speed and scale can only be achieved by bridging life science and technology. Recursion is the leader in digital biology, and has built the world’s most advanced ultra-high throughput wet-lab and machine learning platform. Recursion’s ability to generate proprietary, high-dimensional, multi-modal and relatable datasets of human cellular biology at massive scale, and apply advanced machine learning approaches to reveal novel biological relationships, has resulted in a proven, target-agnostic drug-discovery engine.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.