Protein Engineer (TM21-262)
Summary of the Position
Catalyst Biosciences (Catalyst, CBIO) is seeking a Protein Engineer to join its growing biotherapeutics team at its South San Francisco headquarters. The position will report to our head of Protein Engineering and offers the opportunity to make an impact and significantly contribute to a fast-growing company. The candidate will contribute to developing novel biotherapeutics and new technologies that move pipeline projects forward and further develop the Company's protease engineering platform. This role provides the chance to collaborate across a broad range of disciplines from the earliest drug discovery activities to participating in IND-enabling activities in order to deliver first-in-class as well as best-in-class molecules in the complement and rare disease space.
About Catalyst Biosciences
Catalyst is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel protease medicines to address important unmet medical needs in patients with complement related and rare bleeding disorders. We have a versatile protease engineering platform that feeds our research and development pipeline, and this position provides an opportunity to be exposed to the full value chain from early discovery to late stage clinical trials. To succeed in this role, we expect you to bring an innovative mindset, scientific curiosity, a lot of energy, and pragmatism. For more information, please visit www.catalystbiosciences.com .
- Apply your strong knowledgebase and hands-on expertise with state of the art protein engineering techniques to develop a robust pipeline of biotherapeutics
- You will leverage your core competencies in biophysics, structural biology, and molecular biology to drive molecular design and characterization of therapeutic enzymes.
- The incumbent is expected to contribute to the development of new technologies and expand the protease engineering platform to drive the cutting edge of biologics discovery.
- Collaborate across multiple projects to solve complex problems simultaneously and deliver results within established timelines that meet company goals.
- Contribute to patent filings and publications and present research findings at relevant industry and medical conferences.
- Provide scientific leadership, strategic, and technical guidance to build a robust portfolio of therapeutic proteases.
**Title/Level to commensurate with education and experience.
- Advance degree/Ph.D. preferred in Biochemistry, Immunology, Molecular & Cell Biology or similar fields with 3 or more years of experience post Ph.D.
- Demonstrated experience with engineering differentiated lead molecules including but not limited to enzymes, antibodies, multispecifics and other protein scaffolds.
- Extensive experience in engineering and characterization of protein and antibody variants as clinical leads including de-risking immunogenicity.
- Sustained record of productivity and substantive scientific contributions as evidenced by high-impact publications, patent inventorship, and/or external presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with other scientists on cross-functional projects teams.
- Motivated, scientifically driven with a creative approach to complex biochemical problem solving.
- Highly collaborative team player, open to giving and receiving ideas with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically, adapt quickly to changing priorities and have an enthusiasm for new challenges with the desire to focus on efficiency.
- Must be self-motivated with a positive “can do” attitude and ability to wear multiple hats.
- A sound knowledgebase in molecular biology, protein expression, and purification
- Background in complement and rare orphan diseases is a plus.