The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is looking for software developers and DevOps Engineers to join our DevOps team.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI is the world's premier biomedical center hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health - at NCBI you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases! NCBI's wide range of applications, platforms (node, Python, Django, C++, you name it) and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users than almost any other US Government Agency according to https://analytics.usa.gov/.
DevOps facilitates software development and deployment by utilizing automation and providing efficient and convenient solutions for challenges of scaling development efforts across teams, languages, and cloud environments.
We welcome junior candidates with a strong background in Computer Science and desire to learn or experienced engineers willing to challenge the depth and breadth of their expertise.
Our DevOps team:
- Streamlines multi-language software development by providing tools and templates to solve common challenges of Continuous Integration
- We support C++, Python and Scala, and also work with Go and Rust
- Develops a modern continuous deployment platform with cutting-edge technologies (containers, cluster schedulers, service mesh, dynamic secrets provisioning)
- Minimizes toil by automating configuration via codification (Terraform is one of our main instruments)
- Works with product development teams to help them adopt the platform and best practices (we maintain some of the "core libraries" product teams rely on)
- Performs research and evaluates new technologies to meet the most advanced demands of our product teams (e.g., delivering large, versioned data sets to applications running on Kubernetes)
- Maintains a high level of education for ourselves and our customers (training courses on-site and off-site, conference attendance and tuition reimbursement)
- Practices Agile development (Scrum) and continuous improvement
At its foundation, our deployment platform stands on:
- TeamCity for Continuous Integration (while also considering Jenkins and GitLab)
- Artifactory for storing libraries developed internally, as well as container images (ECR and GCR experiments in cloud environments are planned)
- Nomad and Kubernetes to schedule and run our deployments (currently transitioning from Nomad to Kubernetes)
- Telegraf, InfluxDB, Kapacitor and Grafana along with OpsGenie for monitoring and alerting (recently set up Influx Enterprise cluster)
- Consul and Linkerd for service discovery (we heavily contributed to Consul support in Linkerd in its early days)
- Vault for secrets management (looking to scale it massively)
- Puppet and Terraform for configuration management (we develop custom Terraform plugins for our specific needs)
- AWS, GCP and on-premises datacenters (we strive to provide a seamless application deployment experience between data centers and clouds)
Duties & Responsibilities
• Analyze requirements presented by Product Owner and design sustainable solutions to advance deployment of platform functionality
• Manage cloud infrastructure as code
• Develop software to facilitate Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment
• Troubleshoot performance and scalability issues in products and infrastructure
• Mentor junior team members (or be a mentee)
- B.S. in a STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics)
- Alternatively, equivalent industry experience in Software Development
- Strong knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages: Python, Go, Java, Scala, Rust, C++; and desire to learn new languages
- One plus years' of experience
- Hands-on Linux experience. System programming expertise or understanding of how container runtimes work is a big plus
- Experience with AWS, GCP, Azure, or other cloud service providers
- Experience using cluster scheduler technologies (Kubernetes, Nomad, Mesos), or solid understanding of the concepts they operate upon
- Understanding of distributed systems design principles (we will ask you about consensus, and we don't mean blockchain)
- Customer-focused, team-oriented disposition
- Interpersonal communications skills, to interface with customers, peers and management
- Integrity and responsibility
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience mentoring other developers
- Experience working with HashiCorp products
- Experience setting up or using monitoring systems (Grafana, TICK Stack, Prometheus)
- Experience managing stateful datasets in cloud environments
- Any other DevOps technologies, any prior DevOps experience
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get...
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program, and membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.