Automation Research Associate
About Mantra Bio:
Mantra Bio is a biotechnology company developing exosome therapeutics. We are a data-first company re-imagining therapeutics from the ground up by leveraging insights from exosomes. Our team of biologists, data scientists, and platform engineers have built REVEALTM, a proprietary exosome intelligence platform enabling the discovery of exosomes therapeutics in multiple disease areas. We are proud to count 8VC, Viking, Illumina, and TenCent among our investors. Mantra Bio operates out of a newly constructed facility in South San Francisco, the heart of Biotech.
About the role:
We are seeking a Research Associate to join the Automation team at Mantra Bio. Our team is responsible for developing systems to streamline the execution of exosome discovery and cell-based characterization assays. We strive to develop reliable, repeatable, and robust systems by addressing the end-to-end workflow. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated scientist with flow cytometry experience and a strong appreciation of system workflows, automation and data analysis. A key part of the role will be working to bridge between biology focused scientists and data focused engineers. The role will be responsible for implementation, qualification, and continuous improvement of our systems.
Your contributions will help accelerate groundbreaking scientific research. You will work cross-functionally with research and data scientists, biologists, and engineers in a fast, nimble culture. If you desire to challenge yourself, accelerate your career, and give new hope to patients, there's no better place than Mantra Bio. You must be a self-starter, strategic thinker, action driven, thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities.
Mantra Bio is currently working remotely wherever possible and in our facilities when bench-work is required. This role would initially be partially remote with a transition to full on-site work when that becomes safe and possible. Candidates are expected to commute to Mantra HQ in South San Francisco, CA.
- Responsible for the execution and analysis of experiments with varying complexity using liquid handlers and flow cytometry.
- Utilize and provide feedback on data entry, processing, visualization and validation tools.
- Interface directly with database developers to ensure proper communication between database and automation systems.
- Routine, accurate, and timely completion of all assigned experimental tests.
- Will be expected to efficiently prioritize individual workload.
- Independently analyze research data, solve problems with appropriate guidance and effectively plan follow-up experiments.
- Expected to develop skills and exercise judgment in troubleshooting routine assigned test procedures and in recommending appropriate corrective actions.
- Must be able to learn to independently operate the flow cytometers, including setup, instrument QC, calibration, laser alignment, routine maintenance, etc.
- Assist other research personnel in use of instrumentation, generate and update high quality documentation.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
Must have technical skills:
- BS in biology, bioengineering or similar with 2 years of laboratory experience.
- Familiar with principles of flow cytometry.
- Experience working with mammalian cell cultures.
- Able to program in languages such as SQL or Python.
- Experience with relational databases.
- Experience in data interpretation and statistical analysis.
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills.
- Basic knowledge of statistics, including confidence intervals, standard error, and p-values.
Nice to have technical skills:
- An MS in biology or engineering.
- Hands-on experience with flow cytometry and high-throughput workflows.
- Adept at utilizing automation, e.g. automated liquid handling system to assist with complicated or lengthy workflows.
- Experience qualifying and providing long-term improvements for automated systems.
- Strong data analysis experience using FCS Express other FACS related analysis tools.
- Experience in cell culture, high-throughput screening, and/or assay development and optimization.
- Experience using Jira for task management and Confluence for documentation.
- Assay validation/qualification in GMP and GLP environments a plus.
- Familiarity or experience with scripting and statistical analysis of your data.
- Experience collaborating with computational scientists while analyzing your data.
Nice to have soft skills:
- Enjoys problem solving in a collaborative environment, with an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to identify, manage, and overcome technical hurdles.
- Candidate is expected to be able to learn quickly, and be creative, innovative, and self-motivated in problem solving.
- Meticulous attention to detail and strong record-keeping skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow established policies and procedures.
- Experience contributing in cross functional teams.
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, which requires flexibility and a willingness to learn new techniques and methods.
- Highly self-motivated with effective interpersonal skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Values receiving and giving constructive feedback.
Well Being for All.
We create exosome therapeutics that eliminate suffering and enable our global community to live well. At Mantra Bio, we believe in cultivating a principled environment of ‘Well Being’ for our team first that extends to the patients we seek to cure.
Mantra Bio’s Culture:
At Mantra Bio, we value Self-Empowerment, Candor, Curiosity, and Unity. We take pride in building a close knit team of humble, wildly intelligent All Stars that thrive in collaborative environments. We trust each team member to do what’s best for the organization and strive for ‘People over Process.’ We believe that a culture of feedback is essential to personal growth, and in turn, organizational growth. We practice giving and receiving feedback as often as we can, while giving and receiving kudos even more. Above all, we believe in cultivating curiosity and learning, in an environment of empathy and respect.
Mantra Bio is committed to inclusion and diversity in our hiring practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe in diversity being the backbone of a strong company.