Sana Biotechnology, Inc. is a new company focused on creating and delivering engineered cell and gene therapies as medicine for patients. Recent scientific advances make it possible to reprogram cells in the body or replace damaged cells and tissues, creating a new class of medicines to treat a broad array of diseases. Sana are a team of scientists, clinicians and biotechnology veterans focused on creating an enduring company that makes meaningful medicines and will change how we approach treating disease.
This position will report directly to the Chief Business Officer. The successful candidate will lead cross-functional drug development teams through preclinical and clinical phases, focused on the development of novel therapeutics across multiple therapeutic areas and modalities, to enable successful global development and commercialization. They will work closely with the program team, developing program strategic plans to achieve corporate goals and be accountable for team deliverables. Candidates should have extensive cross-functional drug development leadership experience, especially in the late preclinical through early clinical phases.
Primary Responsibilities Include
- Leading cross-functional drug development teams through preclinical and clinical phases, focused on the development of novel therapeutics across multiple therapeutic areas and modalities, to enable successful global development and commercialization
- Provide direction and leadership to the program team including scientific oversight of activities, data review based on key milestones, budget, and planning.
- Partner with stakeholders to develop program vision, strategy, objectives, go/no go decisions, milestones, risk assessment and mitigation strategies, as well as program investment requirements. Program typically include representation from Research, Developmental Sciences, Clinical Development/Operations, Regulatory and Technical Operations (manufacturing).
- Utilize his/her deep understanding of disease biology and global drug development to effectively lead programs teams and to drive strategic decisions for the program.
- Working with the project manager, coordinates documentation and archiving of project deliverables and key decisions
- Communicates effectively across all functional areas so that deliverables and interdependencies are clear
- Exerts influence on program direction and needs with key stakeholders and senior leadership
- Proactively identifies challenges, risks and prepares team with mitigations to navigate team through technical and program challenges as they arise
Requirements For This Role
- An advanced degree in life sciences or medicine (MD or PhD) and/or an MBA
- Strong leadership and an innate ability to collaborate with program teams
- 10+ years of drug development experience with 5+ years of experience leading cross-functional development teams, especially in late preclinical (pre-IND) through early clinical development
- Able to comfortably dive into any area of the program, understand business needs, and make decisions based on changing priorities
- Proven leadership and demonstrated ability to engage and influence team members at all levels in a matrixed environment
- Demonstrate the ability to influence across the senior leaders both internally and externally
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills in order to represent program to key internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent judgement in making trade-off decisions for program scope, costs and strategy
- A mentor and leader: all team members deserve an engaged, thoughtful culture and people leader
- An inclusive individual who thrives in a team-oriented environment
- High energy and driven to deliver on the program success