Principal Data Engineer
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like you're part of something bigger, it's because you are. At Amgen our shared mission-to serve patients-drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world's leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve together-researching, manufacturing and delivering ever-better products that read over 10 million patients worldwide. It's time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
Principal Data Engineer
What you will do
Let's do this. Let's change the world. In this vital role you will work closely with product owner/business analyst and delivery managers to understand the complexity of regional requirements. This role will be part of the newly established technical/engineering team, lead design and develop of data flow pipelines to extract, transform, and load data from various data sources in various data format to enterprise data lake and data warehouse system in three regions in AWS.
- Be able to do hands on work, lead data engineer team, mentor junior data engineers
- Collaborate with Business SME's, and Data Scientists to architect data products and services
- Provide architectural and data model oversight for processes which perform data extraction, transformation, work flow management and data quality check
- Drive the exploration and adoption of new tools, technique, propose improvements to the data pipelines and system architecture
- Provide governance on data integration cross different organizations in enterprise data lake
- Act as a product manager for the data platform backlog
- Participate in sprint planning meetings and provide estimations on technical implementation
- Travel - Approximately 10% of work time
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The hard working professional we seek is a Data Engineer with experience building scalable, automated solutions in a fast-paced environment, with these qualifications.
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Information Systems experience
Master's degree and 6 years of Information Systems experience
Bachelor's degree and 8 years of Information Systems experience
Associate degree and 10 years of Information Systems experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Information Systems experience
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Engineering related fields
- Experience architecting and building ETL pipelines; Hands-on experience with SQL, preferred Oracle, PostgreSQL, and Hive SQL
- Demonstrable experience with data modeling for both OLAP and OLTP databases, performance tuning for relational database, NoSQL datastore, and columnar database;
- Experience working with Apache Spark, Apache Airflow
- Experience with Software engineering best-practices, including but not limited to version control (Git, Subversion, etc.), CI/CD (Jenkins, Maven etc.), automated unit testing, Dev Ops
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, S3, EMR, RDS, Redshift/Spectrum, Lambda, Glue, Athena, API gateway
- Full stack development using cloud services (AWS preferred) and cloud-native tools and design patterns (Containers, Serverless, Docker, etc.)
- Hands on development experience with Databricks
- Hands on development experience with Informatica MDM product
- Experience working with and leading agile development methodologies such as Sprint and Scrum
- Biotech / Pharma experience
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates' professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.