Associate Director, Global Medical Publications
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Job Title: Associate Director, Global Medical Publications
Drive development of global strategic publication plans for priority and/or complex therapeutic areas, as assigned. Oversee the execution of scientific publications (ie, clinical manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and oral presentations) that fulfill medical/scientific objectives. Provide managerial oversight to staff members, including performance assessment, training and feedback, resolution of personnel issues, and management of talent retention. Represent Global Medical Publications and assigned Publications Teams on organizational cross-functional teams, and lead/participate in department initiatives/activities that impact medical publishing practices/processes.
- Lead cross-functional Publications Team(s) for priority and/or complex therapeutic areas, as assigned. Lead team meetings/discussions and driving the development of publication strategy, incorporating input from key global stakeholders. Oversee tactical execution of publication plans (ie, clinical manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and oral presentations) that fulfill medical/scientific objectives, meeting established timelines and budgets, ensuring development of high-quality, scientifically ac
- Demonstrate ability to communicate key and sensitive information to TA and senior leadership. Address and independently resolve, as applicable, publications-related issues for assigned therapeutic areas and assets Lead/participate in department initiatives/activities that impact medical publishing practices/processes.
- Provide managerial oversight of internal staff member(s) that support multiple compounds and/or indications of a major or complex product within a therapeutic area, including oversight of work product and activities, ensuring accuracy and adherence to timelines and Publication Policy and associated Procedures.
- Represent Global Medical Publications and assigned Publications Teams at organizational cross-functional team meetings by actively contributing to discussions and sharing important information with Global Medical Publications staff and colleagues. Determine resource requirements for assigned TAs, acquire headcount to meet business needs.
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of regulations, requirements, policies, and guidelines that apply to the preparation and production of scientific publications, and ensure staff understands, complies, and applies them to work products. Provide expert guidance on publishing standards, trends, and practices to global stakeholders, including AbbVie senior leadership, company-wide functional areas, and Affiliates.
- Establish, maintain, and expand business relationships with staff from functional areas collaborating on publication projects/activities. Communicate effectively across functional areas and within department to accomplish project objectives. Present information in a professional, concise, clear, and objective manner.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures. Implement systems or solutions to enhance efficiency, eliminate redundancy, reduce expenditure.
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree required. PhD, PharmD, Master's Degree preferred. Relevant professional certification/credential (eg, CMPP, AMWA) is a plus.
- 5 years of medical/scientific publications (or related) experience required. Pharmaceutical industry or related (eg, medical communication agency) experience, and people management experience required.
- Demonstrated abilities in a leadership capacity required, and demonstrated abilities in leading cross-functional teams without reporting relationship authority.
- Demonstrated experience in participating in cross-functional initiatives that have advanced a group's or department's reach and influence. Ability to navigate relationships with senior management, as well as develop and deliver strategic presentations for such an audience.
- Experience developing and motivating direct reports, and addressing performance issues. Experience developing and implementing processes and projects.
- Able to maneuver through complex political situations effectively, with minimal noise, achieving win-win outcomes. Comfortable operating within "gray," with tolerance for ambiguity, reaching decisions with limited information.
- Exercises judgment in distinguishing issues needing elevation, as well as the level to which an issue should be elevated.
- Adept at distilling and packaging information for varying audiences within the organization, adapting messages and level of information.
- Manages the development of direct reports, including creation of performance assessments, goals, and growth plans. Must continually train/be compliant with all current industry requirements as they relate to publication practice
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.