Q32 BIO is advancing novel therapeutics to treat autoimmune and inflammatory disorders. We aim to deliver life-changing treatments for patients with a variety of diseases for whom no adequate treatment options exist.
We are seeking an exceptional Controller to lead and manage the accounting / finance operations of Q32 Bio. Reporting to the CFO, this is an opportunity to contribute significantly to a top-tier, rapidly growing, privately-held biotechnology company. The successful candidate will have a willingness and ability to manage and execute the entire range of tasks required to support the Company's financial functions, bringing both a willingness to work in a hands-on capacity and experience establishing this function within a growing organization.
The ideal candidate is a driven individual looking to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, biotech start-up environment, leveraging a high degree of problem-solving and troubleshooting skills to make a large impact on our mission.
Accounting & Reporting :
- Lead the accounting operations of the company including maintaining an adequate system of accounting records/policies and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results.
- Ensure that the company's accounting procedures and reported results confirm to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements and monthly reconciliations of all balance sheet accounts.
- Interface with financial institutions, external auditors and advisors
- Oversee the independent valuation and year end independent financial statement audit.
- Implement & manage purchasing to payables process and provide sound financial guidance to company personnel on procurement decisions and contract negotiations
- Manage payroll and benefits processes
- Research and advise the company on the adoption of critical financial systems.
- As required, take lead on preparing and readying the organization for SEC standards, including reporting, compliance and implementation of Sarbanes Oxley.
- Manage the company's tax reporting and state filing requirements.
- Manage the company's corporate insurance policies.
- Manage the company's cash-flow, including bank accounts and investments.
- Design & lead ERP system implementation
Financial Planning & Analysis (in partnership with Head of Corporate Development) :
- Support all planning, budgeting, forecasting, analysis and reporting.
- Lead performance management vs. budget on a monthly basis.
- Organize and prepare financial materials and Board presentations.
- Assist with maintenance of the Company's capitalization table and support shareholder reporting.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Accounting with current CPA/Chartered Accountant license desired.
- High-energy leader experienced in leading a corporate accounting team in a fast-paced, high-growth company, with a willingness to “do it all” and take a hands-on approach
- Minimum 10+ years' experience in corporate and/or general accounting including both private and public company experience as the controller; experience managing public offerings either from within the company or during accounting firm experience is required.
- Prior experience in the biotechnology industry; experience accounting for R&D collaborations is preferred
- Big 4 Public Accounting, SEC reporting, and US GAAP experience preferred.
- Privately held VC backed company experience strongly preferred
- Ability to produce quality results in an efficient manner within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to implement and research new and emerging accounting trends, as applicable.
- Experience implementing/maintaining ERP systems and developing reporting and analytics capabilities.
- Collaborative business partner adept in building cross-functional relationships to drive business results and process improvement.
- Exhibit the highest degree of ethics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.