Scientist - Protein Biochemistry
BioSpace has been engaged to help our client, a venture backed biotechnology company utilizing a novel spatially encoded screening and optimization platform to develop treatments for historically intractable causes of human disease, to bring a Protein Biochemist to their team. The Company's platform technology provides comprehensive, quantitative affinity binding data at a completely unprecedented scale. Our internal development programs are focused on oncology and immunology. In addition to these programs we also work with leading pharmaceutical companies. Our platform is based on fluorescent imaging of ultra-dense microarrays such that, via thousands to millions of images, we can measure billions of target/molecule interactions in a day, generating hundreds of millions of dose-response binding curves.
We are seeking a highly motivated, creative, and experienced protein biochemist. As an integral member of our biology group, the candidate will lead the design, expression, purification, labelling and analytical characterization of protein targets for use in our affinity screens. The quality and purity of the proteins is critical to the data output from our screens. The position will report to the Head of Biology.
The core responsibilities of this job will be
1. Identify and design appropriate protein constructs for targets of interest for screening on the company’s small molecule arrays
2. Manage protein expression and purification efforts at external CROs for a broad range of protein targets
3. Perform analytical characterization and labelling of protein preparations
4. Establish protein expression and purification capabilities onsite as needed
5. Develop and execute high through-put affinity, biochemical or activity assays to evaluate hits from affinity screens
6. Work closely with scientists across the company and communicate results at project team meetings
Experience and Qualifications
Given the company’s size, anticipated growth and fast-paced environment, the organization requires a Scientist who is thoughtful, high energy and can partner with the broader organization to further enhance our next generation drug discovery capabilities. Part of the organization’s success is nurtured by a hands-on work environment where everyone is accountable, everyone is vested in a vision of excellence, and everyone actively takes part in the success of the business. We support a positive work environment comprised of engaged employees who feel appreciated, recognized and free to be creative.
· PhD in the field of protein biochemistry, enzymology and/or structural biology
· 5+ years of hands-on experience in protein synthesis, purification and modification
· Broad experience in expressing recombinant proteins in a variety of expression 2 systems and modern molecular cloning techniques required
· Extensive hands-on experience in protein purification using a variety of chromatographic techniques required
· Hands-on experience in use of analytical/biophysical techniques (HPLC, DLS, DSF, etc.) for assessing stability, solubility, and oligomerization status of proteins required
· Experience with binding affinity measurements (SPR) highly desired
· Experience in structural biology (X-ray crystallography, NMR, Cryo-EM) highly desired
· Experience with enzymology, protein-protein interaction and/or DNA/RNAbinding proteins would be a plus
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and can thrive in a highly collaborative research environment
· Demonstrated technical proficiency, ability to troubleshoot to solve problems and to deliver high quality data
She/he will exhibit the ability to work well under pressure to provide results in a short timeframe. The company is looking for a highly responsive, goal-oriented individual who will bring significant energy and drive to solve complex technical problems and help us achieve our mission to advance human health.