Senior Veterinary Surgeon
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Department of Comparative Medicine at AbbVie has an immediate opening for a qualified veterinarian with a strong surgical background in a multi-species program, preferably with laboratory animal experience. We are seeking an individual that will apply their surgical skills and expertise to support our biopharmaceutical Research and Development programs with both current in-house models and the development of future surgical models. The candidate may also provide veterinary oversight support to a variety of research areas including oncology, immunology, neuroscience, toxicology, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics.
The successful candidate will join five other laboratory animal veterinarians which care for over 200,000 animals housed in 152,000 sq. ft. of AAALAC accredited laboratory animal facilities. This is a fulfilling environment, with full service veterinary capability, in which to practice high quality clinical medicine and surgery and contribute to AbbVie's mission of creating a remarkable impact on patients. Continuing education is encouraged and supported. There is also an ongoing cooperation with University of Illinois at Chicago laboratory animal residency program lecture presentations that is facilitated through videoconferencing.
Opportunities for career advancement are available, if desired.
Oversees all surgical functions within the Department of Comparative Medicine, as well as performing surgery on current and developing new surgical models. Acts as technology expert managing surgical animal models and associated equipment/tools required for study conduct when collaborating with fellow researchers. All veterinarians on staff participate in IACUC functions including protocol review and provide input on all veterinary related issues involving the animal care program.
- Develops surgical models and applies knowledge and experience in refining current methodologies
- Conducts surgery as per technique proficiency
- Oversees surgical model conduct through proper set-up, study conduct and take-down
- Manages surgery schedules according to available resources
- Directs resources to ensure surgical arena is appropriately set-up for scheduled surgeries
- Manages resources to ensure appropriate supplies/equipment available for surgical models
- Oversees surgical capital equipment requests per new need and obsolescence
- Provides hands-on training for surgical techniques
- Conducts proficiency training and assessments to R&D staff
- Directs scheduling requests of resources for study conduct (veterinary technical staff and Research Services Group)
- Collaborates with scientific therapeutic areas to calibrate current and future needs of surgical models
- Explores emerging technologies to ensure best possible outcomes of model development
- Required: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) from AVMA accredited or equivalent institution and 5 years lab animal experience OR DVM with ACLAM board-eligibility and 3 years lab animal experience OR DVM with PhD and 2 years lab animal experience
- SRA and SRS certification preferred
- Initiative, strong work ethic, integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Good animal handling across all species
- Skilled in bio-methodology skills across all species
- Proficient in general surgical skills in all species (i.e. tissue handling, aseptic technique, instrument prep, etc.)
- Species diversity experience (including non-human primate)
- Working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.