Senior Engineer - Environmental Sustainability
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
You've earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge you've worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared mission-to serve patients-drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world's leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.
SENIOR ENGINEER - ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY
What you will do
Let's do this. Let's change the world. In this vital Sr Engineering role you will responsible for planning, design, construction, and operational support to world-wide Amgen clients with emphasis on environmental sustainability. This Engineer will work out of our corporate campus in Thousand Oaks, CA or other Amgen locations including Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Puerto Rico, Ireland, and the Netherlands.
The Senior Engineer will be part of the Engineering Technical Authority (ETA) department with a focus on initiatives that reduce carbon footprint, water consumption, and waste generation. This role is a member of our Facilities, Utilities, and Sustainability Engineering team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and update strategic energy/carbon, water, and waste reduction targets across global sites for the Corporate Environmental Sustainability program
- Sustainability Program Execution, Reporting and Communications
- Collaborate with site engineering teams and EHSS to execute sustainability projects and to develop annual corporate sustainability reports.
- Connect with state and local utility companies to identify available incentives for implementing energy and water reduction projects or pilot project opportunities.
- Measure site sustainability projects to verify the actual energy, water, and waste reduction goals are achieved.
- Advance digitalization tools for sustainability and other engineering efforts.
- Engineering Project and Proposal Development
- Identify energy and water consumption improvement initiatives and innovative / alternative technologies to optimize utility usage.
- Develop the assessment, cost analysis, technical feasibility, and lifecycle impact of potential energy, water, and waste reduction related projects.
- Facilitate the business case development of project proposals.
- Develop and specify opportunities for integration of projects within capital planning and equipment lifecycle-based replacement projects.
- Analyze the system and facilities energy and water usage as well as utility costs to find opportunities for performing energy and water audits on sites.
- Work with project design teams and external consultants to craft, develop, and support engineering project development, plans, standards, and equipment selection.
- Investigate technology and issues. Design includes new and renovated systems. Deploy new technology. Ensure designs optimize the total equipment life cycle.
- Develop and approve procedures for safe, efficient, and effective operation.
- Ensure the delivery of system maintenance plans.
- Provide engineering support and sophisticated issue resolution during build and installation processes. Assist sites in operational troubleshooting.
- Travel up to 30%.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our outstanding contributions to serve patients. The Environmental Sustainability Engineering professional we seek is a collaborative team-player with these qualifications.
- Technical depth and strong collaboration in a diverse culture are key differentiators for this role.
- Experience performing environmental sustainability impact assessments (carbon equivalent, water consumption, and waste generation impact) and International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP) standard or Certified Measurement and Verification Professional certification
- Experience and / or knowledge of industrial, laboratory, and relevant manufacturing environments and systems including but not limited to: biotechnology manufacturing operations, boilers, chilled water plants, refrigeration, compressed air, process heating / cooling, motors, pumps, HVAC, and lighting
- Knowledge of engineering principles to resolve attainable usage reductions / savings (energy and utility costs) for various energy and water conservation measures
- Experience working on LEED projects or LEED certification
- Professional Engineer license or completion of EIT with intention to pursue a PE license
- Strong written and oral communication skills, relationship building, and leadership skills
Doctorate degree in Engineering OR
Master's degree in Engineering and 3 years of engineering experience OR
Bachelor's degree and 5 years of engineering experience OR
Associate's degree and 10 years engineering experience OR
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of engineering experience
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates' professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan-comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits-with compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.