Do you want to join an incredible team looking to revolutionize the treatment of neurodegenerative and aging-related diseases? We are seeking a talented, creative, and self-motivated Senior Scientist who is passionate about pursuing groundbreaking science and developing the next generation of breakthrough innovations.
The successful candidate will bring specific knowledge and expertise in assay development towards impacting neuroinflammation via regulation of immunometabolism. We are seeking an independent and dynamic scientist to drive the advancement of projects with creativity in the rapid pace of a startup environment. S/He will be responsible for identification and evaluation of mechanism of action of current lead programs, identifying novel targets for modulation of immunometabolism in neuroinflammatory diseases, and establishing screening assays to identify next generation drug candidates. The candidate will conceive, develop, implement, and perform a variety of immune & neuroinflammatory disease based in vitro assays, including both cellular and molecular biology systems, to address target-specific hypotheses and to develop the company’s discovery platform. The candidate will work closely with biology and chemistry colleagues as well as with a network of CRO partners.
PRINCIPAL ROLES / RESPONSIBILITES:
- Hire and lead a multi-disciplinary project team and drive successful completion of product development phases
- Lead the development of product specifications and quality metrics to deliver optimum product performance
- In partnership with scientific leadership design, execute, troubleshoot, and interpret biological experiments in support of program objectives
- Develop and implement a diverse set of quantitative in vitro assays & biochemical systems relevant to neuro-immune or neuro-inflammatory diseases to identify and validate potential biological targets and drug candidates
- Independently design, develop, execute and interpret in vitro screens for small molecule drug discovery utilizing the most appropriate technologies to generate a robust discovery pipeline with translational value
- Effectively communicate results and conclusions
- Generate novel hypotheses and validate targets for modulation of immune cell/disease-relevant cell function
- Identify and implement new capabilities and technologies in the field of immunometabolism and neuroinflammation to improve discovery engine
- Contribute to translation of findings between in vitro and in vivo studies to enable biomarker identification
- Supervise and mentor junior research staff
- Experience in neuro-immunology or immunometabolism in an academic or industry lab
- 5 - 7 years experience in an industry R&D environment is a plus
- Prior experience with mentoring and coaching of junior technical staff
- Extensive experience with in vitro immune-based assays with both primary peripheral and central immune cells and appropriate lines is critical.
- Previous experience with transgenic mouse models of neurodegeneration is desired.
- Solid experience in developing, troubleshooting, and optimizing assays for SAR development
- Expertise with flow cytometry, reporter cell assays, qPCR and biochemical techniques
- Target validation experience via orthogonal experimental modalities
- Ability to design, develop, & execute experimental plans for independent projects
- Creatively apply a wide variety of scientific concepts to solve complex problems
- Strong experimental background and a rigorous, analytical approach to problem solving
- Ability to maintain accurate documentation of experiments
- Interact and communicate results and conclusions within the biology group and cross functional project teams
EDUCATION / TRAINING:
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in immunology, neuro-immunology and/or Ph.D. Cellular and Molecular Immunology, biochemistry, pharmacology or related fields