Director, Value Policy
Director, Value Policy
United States - District of Columbia - Washington
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company's five core values. That's because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
The Director of Value Policy will develop a global value policy strategy and support country-level execution of action plans that enable proper evaluation of the benefits that Gilead drugs bring to patients, providers, payers, and society. This role requires in-depth knowledge of global value assessment methodologies, drug pricing and reimbursement policies, and the role of value assessment in multiple healthcare systems. Given the importance of working with global and in-market colleagues from Value and Access, Medical, Legal, Managed Markets, the Business Units, and Government Affairs and Policy, this role also requires superb cross-functional management skills.
This role will lead engagement with global and in-market colleagues to develop policy positions, identify opportunities, update value assessment methodologies, and develop supportive advocacy tools to drive policy changes. It also develops stakeholder engagement advocacy strategies to support priority product reviews. This role manages the cross-functional Value Frameworks Core Team to align on corporate value policy positions and establish sub-teams to support corporate strategies to ensure appropriate coverage and reimbursement for priority products. This role represents Gilead in value policy workgroups at trade associations like PhRMA, NPC, ARM, BIO, and IFPMA. It will also work closely with Value and Access and Public Affairs to develop projects with academic groups, non-governmental value assessment organizations, and patient groups to generate evidence that can improve value assessment methodologies to capture the benefits of Gilead's infectious disease and oncology products.
This role reports into the Executive Director of IP, Value and Innovation Policy in the Policy team of the Government Affairs and Policy group (GA&P).
- Develop Gilead's policy strategy to shape value assessment/HTA methodologies and role in the pricing and reimbursement systems in priority markets including the US. Negotiate with cross-functional and GA&P partners in priority markets to build support for strategy and address market needs for successful execution.
- Develop advocacy tools including best practices, research, and case studies to support priority markets, HTA advocacy and product-specific assessments.
- Lead stakeholder engagement strategies to support value assessments of Gilead products and therapeutic areas of interest. Identify and drive projects with academic groups, patient groups or other partners to support these strategies, working closely with internal partners in Value and Access and Public Affairs.
- Lead cross-functional alignment among Value and Access, Medical, Legal, Managed Markets, Public Affairs, market-level Commercial colleagues, as well as Global and in-market GA&P colleagues to develop and deliver Gilead positioning and messaging on value policy issues.
- Represent Gilead with relevant trade association work groups and workstreams; staff senior executives on trade organizations boards, help leaders across the company engage externally effectively.
- Effectively represent Gilead within visible external originations that influence access and value assessment.
- Identify internal education opportunities on Gilead's value policy principles and strategy.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required; graduate degree preferable in relevant areas such as law, health policy, public health, or health economics.
- Minimum 15 years professional experience in government, health care policy, policy research, public affairs or related fields with at least 5 years' experience on value assessment or pricing.
- Cross-functional team management skills, both across peer organizations and with priority markets. Preference for candidates with market or region-level experience.
- Ability to influence key stakeholders at senior levels of the organization (Regional and Market Leaders, Department leaders, and Functional counterparts).
- Demonstration of strong strategic thinking skills, as evidenced by the ability to identify alternative scenarios, resulting implications, and development of pragmatic recommendations for direction or action.
- Track record of external engagement with trade leadership, academic institutions, patient organizations or coalitions.
- Track record of conceiving and executing strategies with tangible outcomes.
- Strong network of academics, consultants and industry contacts.
- Experience in oncology (preferred) and/or HIV.
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix organization and lead with indirect authority.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly-changing circumstances.
- Shows humility and able to learn quickly.
- Can travel domestically and internationally approximately 25% of the time (post-pandemic).
Preferred location: Foster City, CA or Washington, DC
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency