You will be part of the Fermentation & Process Engineering team and will work in a highly collaborative fashion to develop a high-throughput platform that enables more efficient screening of strain performance after microtiter plate cultivation. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of fermentation/DSP scientists and engineers, automation engineers, software engineers, analytical chemists, and molecular biologists working to rapidly develop microbial strains to produce natural product medicines.
- Identify the conditions for a high-throughput platform that improve screening for strain performance in industrial bioreactors at microtiter plate scale by executing and coordinating high-throughput fermentation studies (e.g. characterize impact of media composition, timing, output of to be developed assays)
- Transfer principles from bench-scale fermentation and strain engineering efforts to guide optimization of the plate-based high-throughput screening platform and vice versa
- Execute preparation of media, development of assays and characterization in time courses to understand strain physiology during cultivation in plates
- Analyze, interpret and report large data sets generated by plate-and bench-scale fermentations using data analysis tools (e.g. JMP, Spotfire, R, Python, etc).
- Collaborate closely with strain and fermentation engineers, analytical chemists and software engineers to ensure the development of a robust high-throughput strain screening operation
- Be an advocate for and adhere to all laboratory safety protocols
- Promote a positive and inclusive workplace culture
- BSc, MSc or PhD (chemical engineering, microbiology, biological/life sciences or comparable degrees) with at least 8, 6 or 1 year(s) of relevant industrial experience respectively.
- Enjoys executing complex experiments, analyzing large data sets and collaborating/communicating across multiple teams
- Experience in media preparation, sterile technique and plate-based assay development
- Understanding of microbial physiology and fermentation
- Familiarity with a variety of automation tools and fermentation systems is preferred (e.g. liquid handling robots and bench-scale bioreactor systems).
- Experience in experiment design (DOE) and statistical analysis of technical data is preferred.
- Ability to write data analysis scripts (Python, R, etc.) is a plus.
- Positive and enthusiastic team member. Effective planning, communication and problem-solving skills.
We’ve got you covered:
Our employees are the most important part of what makes our company what it is and we want to provide our team with the best benefits we can. Demetrix offers a variety of benefits to help support our employees and their families outside of work, including:
Food on campus
Walking Distance to Berkeley Bowl
Education Allowance Benefit
Voluntary Benefits including Pet Insurance
Some other points:
We welcome applicants of any and all backgrounds with demonstrated abilities in the skills needed to meet our mission. We are always on the lookout for new talent who embrace change and are willing to push the boundaries of what’s possible in life.
Demetrix is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Employment with Demetrix is at will. This means your employment is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or Demetrix, with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time.
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive.
Some more about Demetrix:
Nature is a rich source of ingredients. Inconsistent quality and supply, along with inaccessibility of rare substances, mean it’s not always an ideal source to meet the world’s needs.
Demetrix helps customers across the globe produce more for less.
Biotechnology can help by enabling access to more rare and powerful products. With less environmental impact and less cost than traditional methods. Which can lead to more happy, healthy lives.
Demetrix gives you:
Expensive and hard-to-find ingredients at your fingertips, sustainably and affordably
High ingredient purity without residual chemicals or pesticides
Affordable access that is quickly scalable as your business grows
Product consistency and a reliable, global supply
A sustainable solution with a small environmental footprint
Currently, we’re building a product pipeline of cannabinoids, the active compounds in the cannabis plant. Humans have been relying on cannabinoids for health and medicinal purposes for centuries.
Although there are more than 113 unique cannabinoids, very few have been studied. That’s because they are present in such low quantities in the plant. We can produce even the rarest cannabinoids at high purity and volumes. What this will do is enable research for health benefits and, ultimately, provide affordable access to the compounds.