You will be part of the DNA Operations group at Demetrix and will facilitate a variety of high throughput pipelines related to building and testing of microbial strains. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers working to rapidly develop microbial strains to produce natural product medicines.
- Manage and run daily high throughput operations on state-of-the-art instrumentation
- Perform sample preparation, sequencing library preparation, and sequencing data analysis
- Follow SOP to set up assays utilizing automated laboratory equipment
- Document results and report to team members
- Identify and troubleshoot process issues and communicate impact to downstream teams
- Be a bridge across teams within R&D and facilitate organized and well-executed experiments
- Identify process improvements and justify implementation using thoughtfully designed experiments and data analysis
- Be an advocate for and adhere to all laboratory safety protocols
- Promote a positive and inclusive workplace culture
- BS/MS in biology, chemical engineering, molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics, cell physiology, or a related discipline
- Familiarity in molecular biology techniques like primer design, PCR, cloning, gel electrophoresis, bacterial and yeast transformation
- Ability to troubleshoot assays and laboratory equipment
- 1-2 years of experience in research or industrial lab, ideally with DNA and molecular biology
- Growth mindset, curiosity, ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Positive and enthusiastic team member with strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- A high level of attention to detail and ability to execute tasks accurately and consistently
- Experience working with automation and 96-well and 384-well plate formats
- Experience with databases, statistics, and data analysis software
A plus, but not required:
This full-time role has the possibility of requiring alternative hours, including weekend or morning/evening work. Willingness to work flexible hours, including mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed, is a plus.
We’ve got you covered:
Our employees are the most important part of what makes our company what it is and we want to provide our team with the best benefits we can. Demetrix offers a variety of benefits to help support our employees and their families outside of work, including:
Food on campus
Walking Distance to Berkeley Bowl
Education Allowance Benefit
Voluntary Benefits including Pet Insurance
Some other points:
We welcome applicants of any and all backgrounds with demonstrated abilities in the skills needed to meet our mission. We are always on the lookout for new talent who embrace change and are willing to push the boundaries of what’s possible in life.
Demetrix is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Employment with Demetrix is at will. This means your employment is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or Demetrix, with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time.
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive.
Some more about Demetrix:
Nature is a rich source of ingredients. Inconsistent quality and supply, along with inaccessibility of rare substances, mean it’s not always an ideal source to meet the world’s needs.
Demetrix helps customers across the globe produce more for less.
Biotechnology can help by enabling access to more rare and powerful products. With less environmental impact and less cost than traditional methods. Which can lead to more happy, healthy lives.
Demetrix gives you:
Expensive and hard-to-find ingredients at your fingertips, sustainably and affordably
High ingredient purity without residual chemicals or pesticides
Affordable access that is quickly scalable as your business grows
Product consistency and a reliable, global supply
A sustainable solution with a small environmental footprint
Currently, we’re building a product pipeline of cannabinoids, the active compounds in the cannabis plant. Humans have been relying on cannabinoids for health and medicinal purposes for centuries.
Although there are more than 113 unique cannabinoids, very few have been studied. That’s because they are present in such low quantities in the plant. We can produce even the rarest cannabinoids at high purity and volumes. What this will do is enable research for health benefits and, ultimately, provide affordable access to the compounds.