Sr. Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
Kezar Life Sciences (NASDAQ: KZR), a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company located in South San Francisco, is seeking a Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry to join our discovery effort. Kezar is focused on small molecule drug discovery and development to target autoimmune/inflammatory disorders and cancer based on the biology of protein homeostasis. Our lead compound, KZR-616, a selective inhibitor of the immunoproteasome, is in early-stage clinical trials. In addition, we have multiple drug discovery programs targeting protein secretion to include multi-indication small molecule programs that take aim at known and novel therapeutic targets subject to protein homeostasis. This position provides an exciting opportunity for major scientific and strategic roles in the research and development of novel therapies for serious diseases.
This position will involve the efficient design and hands-on synthesis of novel compounds for ongoing and emerging projects, identification and application of prevailing SAR to compound design, and team-driven optimization of drug-like clinical candidates. Responsibilities will also include translating to large scale the chemistries of successful candidates, contribution to patent and publication preparation and near-term management of CRO-driven collaborations.
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with 5-7 years of medicinal chemistry experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Detailed and current knowledge of advances in medicinal chemistry, synthetic methodology, and exemplary application thereof
- Expert understanding of ADME, physicochemical properties of drug-like matter, and principles of medicinal chemistry
- Demonstrated identification and application of SAR toward successful hit-to-lead and lead compound optimization
- Proven successful application of structure-based drug design supported by current knowledge of relevant molecular modeling software
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and effectively coordinate collaborating internal and/or CRO chemists
- Flexibility to work simultaneously on multiple projects under tight timelines and changing priorities
- Effective communication/scientific discourse amongst different disciplines, internally and externally
- Record of accomplishment as evidenced by program progression, publications and/or patents
- Knowledge and understanding of safe operating practices
- Innovative spirit and willingness to join a highly collaborative group of scientists in a fast-paced, early-stage company.